National Anthem and Council Bandstands

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by tubafran, Jul 2, 2009.

1. tubafran

tubafran Active Member

It was mentioned to me at the weekend that whenever we play at a council funded bandstand we are supposed to play the National Anthem. Anyone else come across this as a requirement of the performance?

The only one I can think of is Wetherby Bandstand when I believe the Trust ask for this but I dont think that one's a council funded bandstand anyway. Oh and St James's Park but then again it is next door to Buckingham Palace and I suppose there's a good chance she might hear it.

We've just done one park job in Rotherham and got others coming up for Sheffield, Nottingham and Chesterfield - as far as the paperwork goes none of these have made such a request of us.
  2. EIBB_Ray

EIBB_Ray Member

different anthem but same topic...

I don't think we've ever seen it as a requirement. We had an MD who made it a standard practice for EVERY concert (which was nice, but also had it's drawbacks.) Now, we approach it more relative to the nature of the gig.
  3. Anno Draconis

Anno Draconis Well-Known Member

We only do it if it's specifically requested in advance by the concert organisers - this is because I refuse to do the turgid red book version and insist on doing the Gordon Jacob arrangement. Frankly, I hate doing it - if HM (or at a push, Charlie) is in the audience then fair enough, but if not, why play it?
  4. rikster

rikster New Member

Personally I dont see any problem with playing our National anthem at a band job and I am proud to do so. I cant help but wonder why it is such a problem to some, and why it would have to be asked for by a concert organiser/council/other. Surely it is right and proper to play the Anthem at the end of each concert or am I the only one who is still proud of my country?
  5. Anno Draconis

What's that got do with it? Why does NOT playing the anthem prevent one from being "proud of your country"? Playing the national anthem simply isn't appropriate either in musical or protocol terms in many concert settings, in my opinion. If it's an armistice day concert, or even something with a "patriotic" theme like a "Last night of the Proms" or St George's Day or something, then fair enough, but otherwise why?

I assume that you regard the nation's orchestras as base traitors for their failure to play the anthem at each and every concert?
  6. KMJ Recordings

KMJ Recordings Supporting Member

Of course ;)
  7. Anno Draconis

Come to think of it, there are a few string players that I might want to see put up against a wall and shot. :rolleyes:
  8. andywooler

andywooler Supporting Member

It is a contractual oblgation for bands performing on the Bandstand in Eastbourne.
  9. Al

Al Member

30 years ago and more it seemed to be pretty much standard to play the National Anthem at the start of any band concert. Possibly something left over from the war years. I know bands who still play the National Anthem at every concert.

It does seem to be fading out though as the older generation give way to the bright young things 'who don't know they're born'.
  10. rikster

rikster New Member

Thank you for your comments Andy. There are many people of a certain age who expect to hear the national anthem played at concerts and make comments when it is not Particularly in resorts where those people of a certain age pay to listen to us perform. I have certainly heard people say so, and I have also heard people say the band should not be paid if it doesnt play the anthem. Whilst not necesarily subscribing to that point of view, I think it brings the end of a concert to a proper ending. I personally dont believe that the anthem should only be played at special patriotic events? Yes it is appropriate and good to play it at these jobs, but it is appropriate at any time surely, even if it comes from a turgid red book. And one of these days you never know who may be in the audience.
  11. andywooler

I recall a concert in Uckfield Civic Centre when we didn't play it and the audience sat there waiting for us to come back on - in the end, the MD, Nigel Simmons, went out and played it on the Piano!

The other big difference is that bandstands like Eastbourne, Bournemouth and the London Parks were very much the domain of Army bands who will always play it. Their dominance at these venues has changed in recent years which has led to more brass bands where there is lewss adherence to such traditions.
  12. Pythagoras

Pythagoras Active Member

Is that true about Wetherby? Curses.
  13. Basstiger

Basstiger Member

Is that also the case for "Sussex by the Sea" then? Our band always trot that old chestnut out at Eastbourne, and I know that Brighton & Hove Albion Football Club always come out to it at the Withdean Stadium!
  14. andywooler

That one isn't in the contract but we all play it anyway
  15. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

I'm very glad to say we at Becontree did not play it ;)
  16. Basstiger

Basstiger Member

lucky you!!!