National 3 minutes silence today at 12pm GMT

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by dyl, Jan 5, 2005.

1. dyl

dyl Active Member

Millions of people across the UK and Europe will observe a three-minute silence today to remember the 150,000 killed by the Asian tsunami. The silence, being held across the European Union, is due to start in Britain at 1200 GMT.

More details here: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4146153.stm

I was thinking it'd be a nice touch if we could all observe this period of reflection here on tMP, and am asking you all to kindly not make any posts between 12.00pm and 12.03pm

Thanks.

2. HBB

HBB Active Member

I think that this is a touching idea.

3. 2nd man down

2nd man down Moderator Staff Member

here here.

4. dyl

dyl Active Member

Thanks all.

5. yonhee

yonhee Active Member

We've just had a 3 minutes silence in english.
    Just thort I'd share that with you.

6. 2nd man down

2nd man down Moderator Staff Member

We observed a very well kept silence here at work too.

7. Naomi McFadyen

Naomi McFadyen New Member

I didn't know about this until 12.45, when I went from CD to Radio, whilst driving from Devon to Manchester.... but I had my own time of reflection later...

Nice touch not posting on tmp in that time.

8. jonford

jonford Member

I didn't know about it either, walked into my local bank and thought there had been a hold up! But then I saw a staff member with a sign explaining what was going on!:shock:

9. drummergurl

drummergurl Active Member

our school had a one minute silence today at 12, but because i had a citizenship lesson, we all asked our teacher if we could do 3 minutes instead as that was what the rest of the country (and europe i think) would be doing, so we did 3 minutes.

i think our teacher was amazed we could shut up for that long... but it was worth it!

10. Mrs Womble

Mrs Womble Member

we also did the 3 minutes silence at work today. somehow 3 minutes dosn't feel that long for the amount of people who have died

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Europe
    Asian
    1200 GMT.
    Britain
    Black
  12. Di

Di Active Member

I was in the car at 12:00. I tuned in to a station that was talking about the tsunami to make sure i had the correct time, (although who was i gonna talk to in the car anyway), but I wanted to know that i was being quiet at the right time! Even sitting in the car, not normally talking to anyone anyway, that silence was really stirring, especially when Classic FM broke straight into Nimrod at the end of it.

13. horny

horny Member

I did a three minutes silence with the chidlren in my class that I teach, they are age 9 and 10 and they were really sweet! Prompted a discussion on earth quakes etc, and human rights!

14. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

I was wondering if the radio stations would do that...I'm glad they did.

We had a short service at school from about 11:45 am - 12:10 pm with the three minutes of silence worked in. It was incredible how the silence lasted as students left the chapel.

15. drummergurl

drummergurl Active Member

in my citizenship class today, we were doing about human rights and things

wow 9 and 10 year olds hardley ever shut up, that must have been amazing

16. Hollie

Hollie Member

At school today we had 2minute silence at about 8:50 but I think that only our year did it and then a 1 minute silence at 12. I think it should have been a three minute silence at 12 though like the rest of the people doing it.