Naming Compositions

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Jack, Apr 13, 2009.

1. Jack

Jack Member

I no this sounds like a stupid question but how do people think up names for their compositions?

I have written a march and i can't think of anything to call it :(
  2. themusicalrentboy

themusicalrentboy Active Member

what does it sound like?
  3. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

"The rum-ti-tum" march ? ;) :oops:

Was the march written with any particular performers in mind, or any links with any organisations or locations?
  4. Jack

Jack Member

i dont realy no how to describe how it sounds

and no not really for any particular band

i have always found it hard to come up with names and usually come up with stupid names
  5. back_row_babe

back_row_babe New Member

Has it got a particular audience?
  6. Jan H

Jan H Moderator Staff Member

perhaps you can name it after something related to the place where you live (e.g. local history)?
  7. Jack

Jack Member

no its just a march i started to write one day coz i had an idea and i was bored

the only things near me that is anythng remotely historical is the train station or the textile mill

neither of which provides a good name for a march :(
  8. themusicalrentboy

themusicalrentboy Active Member

where do you live Jack?

you could have __________ Mill?
  9. Jack

Jack Member

helmshore textile mill march

dusnt reali fit :(

ile load it up on to sibelius music and see if people can think of a name from listening to it
  10. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

How about
    The Railtrack
  11. Nigel Hall

Nigel Hall Supporting Member

Trademark?? Copyright infringment??? :biggrin:
  12. MRSH

MRSH Supporting Member

A march doesn't have to have the word 'March' in it!!

You could just call it 'Helmshore' or 'Helmshore Mill'.
  13. Thirteen Ball

Thirteen Ball Active Member

Naah - it'd stop halfway through then and demand more government subsidy.....

I suppose it depends what sort of march it is. Is it bright and bouncy like "Blaze away?" Dark and powerful like "Mephistopheles?" Does it have a rolling musical gait like "On the Quaterdeck?" If you didn't have a particular idea in your head when you started it, maybe the character of the march could lend some sort of inspiration. For example a bright and cheeful 6:8 march in C major couldn;t hold down the name "Rivers of Blood" with any sort of credibility!!!

Some of the best marches have names of characters or organisations from history, "Knight Templar" named after the order who protected pilgrims on the way to the holy land. "Washington Greys" named after a mid 19th century regiment in the Union army. "O.R.B." which I believe stands for Oldham Rifle Brigade. Being yorkshire co-op band, we used to play "The pioneers" which referred to the founders of the co-operative movement.

You could even pick an individual from classical mythology who's character suits the music you've come up with, which is what Bach did with the march "Scipio" who was a particularly successful Roman General. I'm currently working on a march entitled "Lysander" a character from classical Greek history/mythology. (Google is good for this kind of thing.)

Others are named after particular areas, Slaidburn, Star Lake, Castell Coch etc. Or our very own march at co-op "Bethel Street."

Just a few ideas. Hope you find something soon. ;)
  14. Jack

Jack Member

15. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Depends on the style of the march. If it isn't dedicated to an individual, band or location then try a name that suits it's musical character.
  16. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

Is that related to the science fiction cantata "Quatermass" ? ;)

I seem to recall Handel's version was rather better known ;)
  17. Thirteen Ball

Thirteen Ball Active Member

Well... some Germanic-sounding chap anyway... ;)
  18. KenIrvin

KenIrvin Member

How about Cotton Mill? :clap:
  19. Sueperc

Sueperc New Member

Having listened to this march how about May Morning (unless htat's already been used)
  20. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

Listening to the march and looking at a map of the area, I kinda like "The Gregory Fold", "Gregory Fold March" "Musbury Heights" or "Musbury Tor"