Name some good school bands?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by xRinat, Oct 7, 2009.

1. xRinat

xRinat Member

I have NEVER heard of school bands outside of Norway. (I play in one)

Can you name some good school bands around in your country that are good?
  2. Baton twirler

Baton twirler Member

I think Wardle School have a band in each year (I may be wrong) but they seem to put quite a few bands out at the Whit Friday Marches.
  3. Aidan

Aidan Active Member

Hi Rinat, do you mean actual schoolbands or just youth bands? They call all youth bands school bands in norway just after the school that they are based at.
    The 3 top 'school' bands in england in my opinion would be Smithills, Abraham Derby and Wardle High.
  4. ploughboy

ploughboy Active Member

Harrogate High School have an exceptional Concert Band/Wind Band. We toured Norway back in 1967, there's some photo's of the coach leaving on our Music Department Wall!
  5. steve butler

steve butler Active Member

It was a Brass Band then Garry, and I was on that tour. I got to know some lovely Scandinavian lasses quite well on that trip :D
  6. ploughboy

ploughboy Active Member

Steve you're never that old!! I'll scan a copy and uplaod it if I can figure that one out! We're heading to Cantabria, Spain with the guys next July. we still try and tour every 2 years.
  7. steve butler

steve butler Active Member

I met up with Neal Richmond at Kippax last year and he brought a scrapbook with all the old pics in, brought a few memories back!
  8. johnmartin

johnmartin Active Member

The West Lothian Schools Brass Band.
  9. Scongie

Scongie Member

Back in the late 50's early 60's the Treorchy Secondary School competed (Welsh Area) and with quite a bit of success:

1959 winners 4th Section
    1960 winners 3rd Section
    1961 winners 2nd Section
    1962 2nd in Championship and went on to the Albert Hall

results provided from 4br contest archive (I'm not old enough to remember it).
  10. xRinat

xRinat Member

In Norway we start playing the brass instrument at age 8, and at age 10 (after the summer holiday) we start in the school band and play there til we are 19 years old.
    I heard that youth bands include people at age 8-14? Am I right?

That is nice, band that I play in won the 1st section for 5 years straight, and than came on 2nd this year with only 1 point away from the winning band :(
  11. Nijinsky

Nijinsky New Member

I've got a plastic bag that used to have a piece of cake in it..?!

One upmanship my good man, I like it!
  12. on_castors

on_castors Member

Looks as if they still are doing better than the average school band....
  13. bignige

bignige Member

Oakmead School in Bournemouth had a good band up to recently - sadly no more. Founded in 1959 (in the Boys School) with Courtney Bosanko at the helm - had a few contest successes over the years including winning West of England fourth section. The band went to Bergen in 1964 and the school band there returned the following year - my brother was in the band then.

I remember winning a gold medal in Kerkrade in 1974 and touring Switzerland the same year. The band also competed in Championship section locally.

May be some old members on tmp.
  14. In the U.S. almost all schools except the extremely small ones will have wind bands, and in some cases string orchestras as well. Brass bands are non existant in the schools here.
  15. katieeuph

katieeuph Member

Bassaleg School Brass Band in Newport, South Wales. They have won prizes at various competitions and performed in the National Festival a number of times. I teach in a different school now but I actually founded and used to conduct the band. They're still fab and there's a great Wind Band there too.
  16. Zeek

Zeek Member

I have just finished my induction phase of teaching and Smithills in Bolton has an awsome school band
  17. Frontman

Frontman Member

I would tend to agree with Owen.

Smithills School Senior Band are excellent and are ex World Champions in their own right.
    Chris Wormold is the Head of Music there and his record is impecable speaks for itself.

Then again Wardle School has also a very fine reputation when it come to Banding.

Just proud that they are both in the Greater Manchester Area.
  18. xRinat

xRinat Member

I don't lay much attention on the Wind bands as much as Brass bands for some reason.
    I just love brass band more than any other bands.
  19. Aidan

Aidan Active Member

Any age upto 18 I think it still is.
  20. xRinat

xRinat Member

I see, it's pretty much the same as in Norway, but we start at age 10. Now I get it!