"Name" cornet player for a workshop.

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Despot, Oct 7, 2003.

1. Despot

Despot Member

Can anyone advise a "big name" cornet player who'd be good for a cornet workshop weekend? Someone who's good at dealing with mere mortals.

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
  3. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

Easy one that Despot... Alan Morrison's your man..... :):)

4. carlwoodman

carlwoodman Member

David Daws is a great encourager of younger players.

5. Straightmute

Straightmute Active Member

I'd echo the view of MusicMan - Alan Morrison is great to work with and has lots of experience of giving workshops and helping younger players.

D

6. Accidental

Accidental Supporting Member

I attended a day workshop with Alan recently. He knows his stuff, but by the end of a day I was bored and hadn't blown enough.

Roger Webster took the SCABA workshop last Nov (or maybe the year before?) and was excellent - communicated well with the guinea pigs, made sense, and kept everyone interested.

Please note these are my own personal opinions only.

7. leisa

leisa Active Member

I'D say Roger Webster he did one with my school band wen i was there and he was great also Chris Turner did one the year before and although i was in the horn workshop i hear he was rather good! :p

8. markyboy

markyboy Member

Obviously I'm biased when i say this but I dont think anyone could beat our MD Ian Porthouse. Not saying the others aren't very good as well but Ian is cornet tutor at NYBBGB, and has a tremendous ammount of knowledge to share, regardless of their standard.
    Let me know if you need contact details.

9. leisa

leisa Active Member

YES!!!!!!!!!! Ian Porthouse he does stockport every year before the national youth comp and we won this year need i say more???.........Hes ace!!!!!

10. P. Sanderson

P. Sanderson Member

heres another one
    Richard Marshall of Grimethorpe

He has done several for us and the reports we have had were excellent.

P. Sanderson YHBBA

11. Aidan

Aidan Active Member

Weebster or Richard Marshall.. amazing talent and stil improving all the time!!!!

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
  13. markyboy

markyboy Member

[/quote]
    YES!!!!!!!!!! Ian Porthouse he does stockport every year before the national youth comp and we won this year need i say more???.........Hes ace!!!!![/quote]

I'll tell him you said that Leisa!!!!

14. leisa

leisa Active Member

YES!!!!!!!!!! Ian Porthouse he does stockport every year before the national youth comp and we won this year need i say more???.........Hes ace!!!!![/quote]

I'll tell him you said that Leisa!!!![/quote]

please do!! hes top him infact all of faireys are im sure if they didnt do the workshop with us every year wed be down a place!

15. Kerwintootle

Kerwintootle Member

Any of the names mentioned are fine. If you can catch a weekend when John Hudson can come over from Norway, he is excellent and very experienced in dealing with younger player. Also, a legend who has also spent a great deal of years teaching is James Shepherd. He can really relate to younger ones. Stuart Lingard from YBS is also a good bet. These players are used to coaching. I know YBS Principals regularly coach other bands.

Russell Gray is also excellent, he has worked with many young players here and in Norway. He also used to teach me.

Good luck.