Name changes

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by timbloke, Jun 22, 2004.

1. timbloke

timbloke Member

In light of the recent change in the Footbal Divisions thus

Old New
    Premiership Premiership
    Division 1 Championship
    Div 2 League 1
    Div 3 League 2

and the fact that at the last change (Premiership being introduced) the Brass band world made a similar change, what this time? should we rename the 1st section to give a more "professional" status (the excuse for the football change) and what should we call it?

Or should we as has been suggested create a defined two-tier Champ section rather than the two-tier one that exists at the moment between the bands that win it or are always at the top and those that hover between Champ and First section.

Comments if you will.

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Old New Premiership Premiership Division 1
    Championship Div 2 League 1 Div 3 League 2
    Premiership
    Brass
    recent change
  3. Heather

Heather Member

I agree with a 2 tiered Championship section. Perhaps an 'elite' section and then a 'championship section'., maybe with the very best 1st section bands being moved up to the new 'championship' section.

4. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

I think it's derogatory to have a 1st, 2nd, 3rd and fourth section; implying that bands are of a lesser standard than others. From now, all bands in the country should be divded into 5 tiers of Championship Section bands, with numbers 2-5 omitted.

I am of course, joking..... :lol:

5. ted

ted Member

How about:

Championship Section for 4th section.

Elite Championship Section for 3rd section.

Premier Elite Championship Section for 2nd section.

Ultimate Premier Elite Championship Section for 1st section.

Even Better Ultimate Premier Elite Championship Section for 2nd tier Championship Section.

We're Even Better Than Even Better Ultimate Premier Elite Championship Section for 1st tier Championship Section.

Ted

6. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

And for the section above that? How about Yorkshire Building Society? ;-) :)

7. BBBfYBS

BBBfYBS Member

mmm interesting Ted i think your onto something.

8. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

The sad thing is that in the U.S., they decided not to use number labels for the sections (I think as to not offend anybody)

I've been in banding 12 years here so I think I may finally have it straight. From highest level to lowest:

Championship
    Honors
    Challenge
    Youth

There is also and Open and Explorer Section. I think the open section can use Fr*nch H*rns and the Explorer Section is for "comments only." (Not 100% sure though)

9. fartycat

fartycat Member

Very good but you forgot the words "Coca Cola"....
    :lol:

10. Okiedokie of Oz

Okiedokie of Oz Active Member

Call me stupid, but why not lose the fancy titles and stick with the simple terms.

1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th are fine.
    We use A, B, C and D (Yes we know our al-fa-bett down here!!).

Or, go back to the fancy titles, and go over board

chocolate level (we're soooo sweet!!)
    hot coffee level (oooooooh we'll keep you stimulated!)
    Curry level (We're guaranteed to upset something!!)
    and
    Just Right Level (not too hevay in our tubas, not too light in our bass troms.)

11. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

Curry level - liable to splat everywhere..... ;-)

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Old New Premiership Premiership Division 1
    Championship Div 2 League 1 Div 3 League 2
    Premiership
    Brass
    recent change
  13. We'll have nan o that!

14. Perhaps the first test piece of this new section could be an arrangement of It Ceylon Way to Tipperary :lol:

15. Spanky Rear

Spanky Rear Member

In view of the widespread interest in consuming alcohol we could have divisions based on amounts/types of alcohol drunk by bands. By lessening or increasing the amounts drunk by a Band promotion/relegation would follow, and I am sure many Bands would find it easier to gain promotion this way than by more traditional methods. Perhaps sponsorship would be more readily available. How would the divisions look in a couple of years? Unrecognisable?
    Presumably the winning 'Championship' Band would be challenged by the top Aussie[drinking] Band before it had left the Albert Hall?
    We might end up with a Belch division; Intemperance division; Diamond Light division;10 pints plus division; AA failures division etc.,..etc.,.....
    Spanky

16. ted

ted Member

Indian Summer is much more appropriate.

17. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

And the competitors have a list of pieces from which to choose, namely:

Trumpet Booze and Cantabile
    Cloudcatcher Bells
    Blitzed
    Diadem of Gold Label
    Diversions on a Bass Theme
    Three Figures... or is that Six?
    Rhapsody in Glass
    The Year of the Flagon
    The Land of the Diamond White Cloud

18. LOL LOL LOL :D :D The possibilities are endless...

I think numbers or letters isn't always the best way, because that often helps to stereotype us as contest monkeys.

19. I do agree... saying a band is 4th section makes it sound like that band are really bad... it gives them a bad reputation. The band I play in is currenty 4th section, but they can do concerts as well as any other 1st section band if they put the effort in.

Matt