NABBA this weekend

Discussion in 'The Adjudicators' Comments' started by EIBB_Ray, Mar 8, 2005.

1. EIBB_Ray

EIBB_Ray Member

Just a note to let everyone know that the North American Brass Band Association Championships are being held this weekend in Chicago.

Contest info is at:

Not going, but thought I'd share.
  2. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

Won't be going this year either, but will be very curious of the results in the top two sections!!

BTW on expedia yesterday I saw flights from London to Chicago (leaving Thursday returning Monday) for only 230 quid.
  3. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

Fantastically detailed itinerary page there on that site Ray, thanks for letting us know about it.

We wish all bands participating in the NABBA Contest this weekend the very best of luck from across the pond. Please let us know the results when you get them.
  4. DublinBass

5. Lothianh

Lothianh Member

It's really irritating that NABBA won't publish which bands are in which section. Even someone like me, who has a pretty good handle on the banding scene in the U.S., isn't sure which section a couple of the bands will be competing in. What is otherwise a great preview of the contest in 4barsrest is let down by not being able to say which bands are going head to head.

I can certainly understand not publishing the details of each band's program, as that would be a dead giveaway, but where's the harm in letting people know which bands are where?? Nobody seems to find it worrisome when other contests let it be known who is competing.

It seems to me that if every other contest can do it, NABBA could too.

6. Lothianh

Lothianh Member

Oh, and I forgot to add my best wishes to all the bands competing. Except of course for those in the same section as Prairie - they only get my second-best wishes! :wink:

7. DublinBass

To be a bit supportive of NABBA (although I total agree with you on this one)....It is an old rule that is outdated. I suspect that at the first opportunity to change it (realising the effect it has on the band media) it will be changed. Some prop to them for not bending rules as that can lead to problems. Some just criticism to them for not having the forsight to fix an old out-date rule.
  8. kiwiposaune

kiwiposaune New Member

Until the last 10-20 years most of the best bands in North America were Canadian SA bands - the CSB, Earlscourt (Yorkminster) Citadel, Hamilton Temple, London Citadel, Dovercourt (Etobicoke Temple) Citadel, Danforth (Agincourt Temple) Citadel, Missisauga Temple, North York Temple, etc, etc, etc, - why is it the no Canadian band has made any impact on the NABBA scene?
  9. DublinBass

I think...because most of them are citadel bands (and therefore non competing).

The competing bands in Canada have shown up very sporadically (Weston Silver, Buffalo Silver (if you count them as Canadian), Woods Manufacturing, can't think of who else)

I suppose transportation may be an issue, but it seems that most contests are based out of the midwest, which is rather close to ontario.

As for the citadel's bands influence. I don't know what other bands do, but ever year there is a God and Country concert in Columbus which has the Brass Band of Columbus and a Salvation Army Band share the stage. About once every three or four years a Canadian Citadel band will come for that. The BBC has been quite spoiled to have the Chicago Staff Band last year and NY Staff Band this year.
  10. EIBB_Ray

EIBB_Ray Member

Personally, I'd like to see Canadian bands come to NABBA. It is nice to see this year, the Arkansas bands coming, a new band from illinois and very notible that Spokane is making the trip.

As for interaction with SA bands, the EIBB have been lucky enough to share the stage with the Chicago Staff band last year here in Iowa and again this spring. It's a special thing that we really love doing. I think this kind of interaction can't hurt banding's image in the US.

BTW, Lothian, Best Wishes to Prairie, sorry we won't be there.
  11. brasscrest

brasscrest Active Member

And for more SA interaction, I note that Tom Scheibner has accepted the position of Contest Controller for 2006 and out. Tom is the Assistant Territorial Music Secretary for the SA in New York and the Band Secretary of the New York Staff Band.
  12. DublinBass

Nice...thanks for the tip (hadn't realised that)

BTW I almost forgot...Keith Wilkinson (BBWR) works for the Sali Army in C-bus...I've sometimes helped out with the Central Ohio Youth Band and every year COBB & BBC members help out at the kettles.
  13. brasscrest

brasscrest Active Member

The announcement about Tom is posted on the front page of the NABBA website at the moment.

NABBA is quite infested (;)) with Salvationists and ex-Salvationists, including the current president, who used to be the SA Music Director in Northeast Ohio.
  14. Steve Marcus

Steve Marcus Member

Best wishes to Prairie, Lothian! It'll be good to see PBB back at NABBA.
  15. Lothianh

Lothianh Member

Thanks Steve - It'll be good to *be* back!

I'm not sure if I'll get a chance to see you guys, since Honors and Championship sections run concurrently. If I don't, good luck and all the best on defending your title - it should be a great competition!

16. cujo_134

cujo_134 Member

Unfortunately some of those bands have gone quite down hill, the Yorkminster Citadel band is ok, Etobicoke Temple came to our corps for a weekend, and they were ok but nothing exceptional. All the other bands listed are still in pretty fine form, especially North York, ever since Glenn Barlow has taken over.
  17. cujo_134

cujo_134 Member

There is also Intrada Brass and Hannaford Street Silver Band, both semi-contesting bands, but they don't do contests. They are mostly made up of Army bandsman and ex-Army bandsman.
  18. Lothianh

Lothianh Member

I'd like to see some Canadian bands too, I just don't know how many there are up there apart from SA bands. I agree that it's great that Spokane is returning, and a couple of new bands like Central Illinois and Fountain City, who I expect to make a real impact. Now, if NABBA could just get some more Western bands to take part, even though it's usually a long way for them to come...

I was sorry to hear that EIBB wasn't coming this year, Ray - I hope you'll be back next go-around. Or perhaps we'll see you in the fall...

19. Lothianh

Lothianh Member

Does this mean they only do semi-contests?? Just curious what "semi-contesting" means. Do you mean that they could if they wanted, but they just don't want to be bothered?

20. cujo_134

cujo_134 Member

Lol ya sorda. I just mean that their not an Army band and not a contesting band but they're more Contesting than Army (if that makes any sence) lol