Mystery to Mastery method

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by toby hobson, May 24, 2011.

1. toby hobson

toby hobson Member

I started to watch this fellas stuff at the recommendation of a friend. His method seems to be no effort based air reliant and entirely natural. He stops the reliance and fascination with buzzing and embouchure and also the over physical and often strenuous/aggressive form of playing. He may not be everyones cup of tea but may offer a alternative approach to whats become the norm certainly in much of the higher brow Conservatoire teaching. Maybe worth a visit to followers of teaching methods.....
  2. GJG

GJG Well-Known Member

Very similar concepts (in short, "get the breathing right and the embouchure will do whatever it needs to do by itself") to the way I was taught by the late John MacMurray back in the '80s. Just wish I was able to actually put them into practice ... :redface:
  3. Greg Spence

Greg Spence New Member

Mystery to Mastery

Hi again, I just left a quick message to introduce myself. I discovered you guys lurking through my site and I finally got my membership to endorsed today.

Don't be put off by the fact that my style of choice is bigband/jazz/latin! I have done several orchestral gigs (in fact with all Aussie orchestras except Sydney) and I began my playing in the Wodonga Citizens Brass Band.

There are playing tips and videos etc (for free) that explain and demonstrate some pretty amazing stuff that I have learned from some of the best teachers on the planet.

If you are having any playing dilemmas or just want to check out some new stuff, come and say G'Day!

Here is what one of your fellow forum readers sent to me.

I’ve very much enjoyed looking through the website and the e-book. I play cornet in the local brass band, and the material has been a real eye-opener - so many things I had read about but hadn’t properly understood now make sense! I’m now looking forward to working my way through the exercises. Thank you for all the trouble you have taken to make this information available.

Best Wishes,
    Greg Spence
  4. I found this site from the link posted on TMP a couple of weeks ago and think it's excellent. Interestingly there are a number of video masterclasses available on the web by legendary trumpeter Alan Vizzutti, and they mirror pretty much everything demonstrated on Greg's site. Also both players are (or were at the time of recording) Yamaha artists.

Thank you Greg for posting your interesting and informative sessions