My tip for the World Cup

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Dave Payn, Jun 5, 2006.

1. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

It may have been against 'only' New Zealand but after watching the friendly on ITV4 last night, and much as I would like England to win, I cannot see past Brazil. Utterly different class. 4-0 could and probably would have been 8 or 9 had it been a REALLY competitive match. Control, passing, movement; on another planet.

Now I've said that, they'll probably get knocked out in the group stages!
  2. Will the Sec

Will the Sec Active Member

Say it again, then, Dave.
  3. iggmeister

iggmeister Member

I couldn't disagree more. The first 40 minutes Brazil looked lost. Their strikers were completely off the boil and I couldn't see where their first goal was going to come from. Ronaldinho didn't play very well. Their defence was at times shambolic. They still rely on the 'it doesn't matter how bad our defence is cos we can always score one more than the other team' mentality. Dida is a clown - even more so than the likes of Taffarel in the past. Lucio forgets why he is on the pitch - I know attack is the best form of defence but that comment is usually reserved for the midfielders, not centre backs.

However, I will agree they woke up in the second half although they looked better than they were because New Zealand fell to pieces. I don't reckon Brazil will get past the quarter finals if they play like that. Yes they are Brazil and I expect they will perform better in the World Cup but in my opinion they were certainly not a different class.

I'm tempted to bet they don't make it past the quarters. Fancy a bet Dave!!?

My tip is England - and I never thought I would geneuinely believe that!

4. Laserbeam bass

Laserbeam bass Active Member

From the perspective of someone who knows very little about sport, and football in particular, (Spent the majority of yesterday training people for the world cup on all the bets we are offering), my money is on Brazil for the outright, and Each Way, usually half the odds on the first two, I would get on Argentina or England. However there may be a few suprises on the way. Realistically I can't see anyone else being in with a shout. From a bookie's perspective I don't want England to win the world cup, as I won't get a bonus at the end of the year, personally I think it would be great.
  5. yorkie19

yorkie19 Active Member

Argentina to win it for me
  6. Redhorn

Redhorn New Member

Dave is right, more or less! The team to beat in this tournament will be Brazil. However, they also have to remember to play like a team- and not 11 individuals!

When weighing up who else may win, you have to ask the question 'Who can beat Brazil?'

Germany, Holland, Italy- I doubt it.
    Czech Republic- tricky customers.... watch them!
    England- 'could' do, if its to be, but EVERYTHING would have to click into place.. Mmmm....

One team has beaten them recently- and has an excellent squad (anyone see the American championship thingy last year!?). Don't read ANYTHING into our recent result against them in that friendly. The team, which will have my english pounds on, if i were a betting man, would be.............. ARGENTINA! Betfair 'were' offering 10-1 on them a few days ago! :clap:
  7. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

Oh well. Brazil looking 'lost' in the first half? 'fraid we'll have to agree to disagree there, iggy! There were plenty of neat touches (yes, even though Ronaldo and Ronaldinho miscued a couple of times) but the final ball wasn't always good. But when they meant business it happened. Yes, NZ crumbled, but most teams wilt eventually under sustained pressure, that's how the best teams win! No, they didn't play scintillating football for 90 minutes constantly. I've never seen any team do that. If Brazil did, the others might as well not turn up!

In the end, igg. I'll be glad for you to be proved right, especially if England win it! ;)
  8. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

I have to say as a US supporter I think we got totally screwed in the draw this year.

1) Mexico got a number 1 seed intead of us and has the easiest bracket. We've done them over quite well as of late (better than they have of us) and we are ranked higher in the FIFA world rankings.

2) Then (second to having such a s difficult draw) if we actually do get through...there is a 50-50 chance we have to face Brazil...I am not looking forward to that! Hardly seems fair that some **** team (eg Mexico) will get through to the final 8 and we may have had to play Brasil in the first knockout!!
  9. I tipped and backed Greece to win Euro 2004. Everyone laughed when I said have an eachway flutter on them at 100/1.
    So this world cup I do fancy again an eachway bet on Tunisia currently 400/1 to win and if u can get it 1/4 odds to reach the semi's. :pig but you never know.
  10. iggmeister

iggmeister Member

Perhaps I'm just being hopeful, but I have seen much better Brazillian teams than that performance the other night. It has given me unexpected confidence and belief that we may actually stand a chance.

I personally think Ronaldinho is overrated. He also has some very annoying mannerisms which suggests that he believes he can dictate to the referee when he has been fouled e.g. he falls over and grabs the ball. There are many who do that, but he is particularly prone to doing it. I also hate this gesture when they believe someone should be red or yellow carded. Lots do that and I get equally annoyed with all of them.

Having said that he is a great player, just not as great as everybody keeps banging on about. I thought he was pretty ordinary in that match. I'd like to have seen hime come up against Vinny Jones or Razor Ruddock. His smile wouldn't be so wide then!!

England for the Cup. Lets hope I'm proved right, eh?!

11. Andy Moore

Andy Moore Member

I said Greece would win Euro 2004, but didn't put any money on it.

Tunisia won't win it, though. :)
  12. Cornishwomble

Cornishwomble Active Member

It's never "only" New Zealand when they have the mighty AFC Wimbledon striker Shane Smeltz upfront :biggrin:

I'll get me coat :redface:
  13. Andy_Euph

Andy_Euph Active Member

I still think England will win, not particularly worried about Brazil, South American teams don't usually travel well to European World Cups.

As for upsets I wouldn't be surprised to see Ivory Coast progress from the "group of death", some good players and not a bad team
  14. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

I don't think the South American's in Europe factor really applies anymore, seeing as most of their internationals ply their trade in Europe, nowadays. Still, we shall see! ;)

England definately. With the squad we've got, and what seems for the first time in years, the whole country behind them, we can't lose. GET IN THERE!!