My little piece of heaven...!!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by TheMusicMan, Dec 22, 2006.

1. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

Have been very busy lately purchasing a few new synths and other geeky stuff for my modest - but ever growing - home recording studio setup.

I have also just purchased Cubase Studio 4 - and I am discovering it is a fantastic piece of software.

Here's a sad pic of one quater of the setup...

Anyone else into home recording and ambient/electronica/chill stuff??
  2. KMJ Recordings

KMJ Recordings Supporting Member

Is this where I tell you to sort your monitoring out? ;)
  3. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

- it looks fantastic!
  4. KMJ Recordings

Mmm - the Radias looks nice with all it's, er, knobs. I have to admit that the reason I bought my Virus Indigo was for the blue LEDs (which are obviously a bit passe now :rolleyes: )
  5. KMJ Recordings

And therein lies the danger - once you start, you never stop :eek:
  6. TheMusicMan

Hehe.. I know exactly what you mean Keith.

Re the monitoring - I have another Tannoy Reveal 5A monitor to the right of the synths too - it's just not on the pic.

Any other advice more than welcome - especially in enabling routing so I can actually mixdown to audio with CS4!!! I must be missing something here. grrrr...
  7. KMJ Recordings

I'm talking about where they are, not that you've only got one ;)

It's a bit difficult to tell from the angle of the picture, but it looks like they're a little low - what you really should have (assuming this is a mix position as well as just a monitoring position) is the tweeters level with your ears and the speakers and your head forming the corners of an equilateral triangle....
  8. TheMusicMan

OK, I guess a set of Monitor Stands is in order together with the Fostex multitrack hard disk recorder after Christmas then eh :)
  9. KMJ Recordings

Which part of the process is falling over?

I take it the way that you're working is to recording MIDI data first? Then you'd be creating audio tracks, playing back the MIDI and recording the audio? (remembering that the Yamaha mixer you've got only outputs the stereo bus to the PC)....have you got that far with audio on tracks and it's just the mix monitor routing you're struggling with or are you just not getting audio down to tape?
  10. KMJ Recordings

With the fact you've just upgraded to Cubase 4....why are you getting a Fostex over a multichannel audio interface? (I've got my reasons for having both, just wondering where your thought processes are going)
  11. TheMusicMan

#1 - I just cannot get any audio recorded within Cubase as yet! I can record and play back MIDI fine, but when I select and arm an audio track, set to record, then play the MIDI back - though I hear what's being played nothing gets written to the audio track at all. It is doing my head in at the moment in frustration.

No matter which device I have selected in Cubase as the sound card - no audio gets recorded. I have ASIO drivers for each of the sound cards installed (Yamaha MW12, Virus TI, Realtec inbuilt pc sound card) but nothing gets recorded. I am sure it is something really simple, maybe a routing or an enabling switch/trigger in Cubase - but I can't put my finger on it just now. I remember in Cubase LE I had to turn on the Inputs by checking the switch that looked like a Power On/Standby switch - but I can't seem to find anything similar in CS4. Any pointers...?

#2 - Shoot us some recommendations for a multi-channel audio interface then come on.... :):)
  12. Will the Sec

Will the Sec Active Member

Can you record Brass Bands with all that equipment, John? :rolleyes:
  13. TheMusicMan

Hehe... do you think Keith would be so willing to offer advice if I could... ;)

Only kiddin.

No, I don't have (1) the equipment in terms of correct mics (I only have one of those) or correct audio interfaces, nor do I (2) have anywhere near the experience or (2) the desire...;)
  14. KMJ Recordings

Have you configured the input busses correctly? p14 of the manual on a quick scan of the pdf I downloaded the other day....check out the stuff on p68 as well....follow it through noddy fashion.

Budget for the interface? Requirements? Mic pres or just line ins? How many channels? PCI or firewire (I'm assuming that as you occasionally use a laptop that Firewire would probably be the most appropriate)...personally I'd probably stay away from USB 2, although I do know of someone using a couple of daisy chained Edirols.
  15. KMJ Recordings

Who'd want to do that? :hammer

;) :biggrin:
  16. TheMusicMan

P14 of which manual Keith...?
  17. KMJ Recordings

The one I downloaded off the Steinberg website was the Cubase 4 Music Creation and Production System operation manual - a 588 page pdf! (the manual is the same for Studio and the full version, with flags for the stuff that's only in the big daddy version).

Edit: Basically, it's all about the VST connections window.
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2006
  18. TheMusicMan

Hey Keith - seasons greets to ya.

#1 - am not so sure that I have actually, and I think this is probably where the problem lies so will do, thanks.

#2 - Not so much worried about budget as prefer flawless working and functionality to be honest but I would think around £300-£400 maybe - with some cheaper alternatives if poss.

I would actually prefer PCI than USB/Firewire as I won't be needing to record audio using my laptop now - all moved across onto my PC based system in home studio setup. I still have sw on Laptop for use when away from home etc, but no need to mix to audio on that anymore - happy for PC only.

So, thoughts and recommendations gratefully received.:)
  19. KMJ Recordings

Merry Boxing Day :D Was that really Christmas? I'm now trying to compete with a junior drum kit for sanity...someone tell me - what was I thinking? :hammer

With regard to the bussing issue, I'm fairly convinced that that's what it is...remember that it's possible to sava all of the configuration stuff as a default template once you've got it right as well as starting up projects with X number of tracks an so you can literally boot the software with an 'empty' project (in terms of audio / MIDI content) and start work without faffing about.

In terms of audio interface, there's another caution that I need to issue and that's over legacy support of PCI interfaces. Obviously with all the latest CPUs and MOBOs heading for PCI-E, there's only a finiite lifetime left in PCI interfaces as they stand - this only becomes relevant if you want to upgrade your PC later without being forced to upgrade the audio interface at the same time. PCI-E interfaces are still still relavtively few and far between although now some of the DSP cards like the Powercore and UAD-1 have PCI-E equivalents it's now become serious - but then, so are their price tags :eek: .

If you do want to have a look at PCI intefaces, though, probably the most frequently recommended product I come across is the M-Audio Delta 1010 . It allows for 8 channels of unbalanced / balanced analog I/O on 1/4" TRS and also has SPDIF should any of the synths have digital outputs (my Triton rack, for example, has a digital output but IIRC the Karma doesn't. Don't know about the Access though in it's latest incarnation). It's also got an inbuilt MIDI interface.

EMU do a PCI variant of their 1616M card, and there are a few others around at similar prices (see, for instance, here although there are others that DV don't sell - I'm not particularly endorsing them as retailers but it's just easier to take links from their site).

In terms of firewire interfaces - which is really where the market is at the minute, there's a fair amount of choice at round about your budget. Take a look at, for instance, the MOTU stuff (although there are a fair few anecdotal stories of 'problems' of MOTU gear with PCs vs happy days with Macs), the RME Fireface 400 etc. Admittedly, these are above your budget, but have a large following.

Stepping 'downwards' you get to things like the Echo Audiofire 12 (if you just want line ins and no mic pres) the Focusrite Saffire 26 I/O and it's smaller Saffire Siblings....The M-Box range (or at least some of them)....

Really, I think you need to sit down and generate a feature set or at the very least a definitive idea of exactly what it is you're looking to do (then add a bit on for expansion ;) ) then maybe we can come up with something a bit more specific.

Right then, off to the park in the freezing cold....but at least it'll be quiet :biggrin:
  20. DesignNotes

DesignNotes New Member

I'm sure this is against all rules, but I've got a Delta1010 which is going to go for sale for around the £185 mark. Its been used in our studio for a couple of years, but we replaced it earlier this year with a Motu2408. Condition is pretty much perfect, no marks or chips to the paint work. On a point of compatiblity, the card was updated by M-Audio this year as well so it is compatible with 3V PCI slots found in G5's.

As Keith mentioned there's quite a good selection of products on the market now, and what you go for really does depend on what your wanting to use it for. I think as a very good affordable package you can't go far wrong with the PreSonus Inspire, which includes 2 Mic Pre's for something like £150.

Any links to some tracks you've produced? I'm quite into music technology myself.

Anyways! Laurence