My first visit to the UK

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Jan H, Jan 21, 2005.

1. Jan H

Jan H Moderator Staff Member

In two weeks time, I'll be making my first trip over the Channel. Unfotunately it's a business trip, so I'll spend most of the time working. I'm going to a customer of ours that is located in a village called Enstone, North West of Oxford and I'll be there from the 2nd untill the 4th of february (but I'll have to go there several time over the next couple of months).

I'm thinking of extending my stay untill saturday, to do some visiting. Are there any tMPers from the region? If you have any recommendations for me, they are more then welcome. I was thinking of visiting Oxford and if the time permits it, I would also like to visit a local band or a concert (on friday evening maybe?), but it's difficult to find information about bands in the area.

Finally, I'll probably have to rent a car, so I would like to friendly ask you all to stay off the road for a couple of days ;)

2. Big Twigge

Big Twigge Active Member

I live in Oxford, tis nice... I know some great pubs!

As I don't play for a band in the area I can't help there, but Steve Clapton does and a few other tmpers I think, I'm sure they'll help you out :)

3. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

We were thinking of going to Oxford sometime for the wekend. Are there any real cheap places to stay in the town centre?

4. Big Twigge

Big Twigge Active Member

I have a floor you could both kip on!
    failing that,there's the Royal Oxford Hotel near the train station (no ideas on price though), then there's a holiday inn just off the ring road.
    THere are probably some nice smaller hotels just on the outskirts....my advice would be to try a google search. Good Luck!

5. Jan H

That would be great! I'll come back to you when I know my flight and hotel arrangements (I'll be probably flying to Birmingham airport)

6. NeilW

NeilW Member

Stonesfield are a friendly bunch who rehearse on Monday and Thursday. I'm sure you'd be welcome: Comedy Overture is the tune of the moment :)

See Stonesfield's website for details including rehearsal details

(Yes, Stonesfield is quite close to Enstone, but they rehearse in Shipton-on-Cherwell)

I gather there's a band in Chipping Norton, but I don't know anything about them...

Maybe see you there...

Neil

7. Jan H

Thanks, I might do that! (If my worksschedule permits it!)

Indeed, I found some information about them on the net, as well as about bands in Witney, Bletchingdon and Kidlington

8. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

Indeed, yes, there is a band in Kidlington, some 5 miles North of Oxford city centre - it is the only Championship section band in the area; we rehearse on Mondays and Thursdays too.

Thursday 3rd Feb might not be the ideal rehearsal to drop in to however, as we're playing at the Yeovil contest on Sat 5th(*), but I'm sure you'd be more than welcome to come along on some future date. We're friendly and laid back, but still take our playing seriously... Drop our conductor Catherine Underwood a line (I'll pm you her details) if you're thinking of coming.

(*) Unless you were interested in playing 3rd Cornet for the contest? :) I think we are short of one at the mo.

We could have some sort of gathering - 'twould be nice to finally track down this elusive Miss Twigge who is apparently living in the same city...

Accommodation - there are a number of B&Bs, but I'm not sure about price. If cheapskatery is the ultimate aim for Pat, then I doubt the Youth Hostel by the train station could be beaten... It's fairly central too.

9. Jan H

Thanks for the offer, but I think I'll pass (one rehearsal and then playing a contest with a championship section band - I'm already getting nervous at the thought alone ;) )

Yeah, I'm certainly interested, preferably on friday. If somebody proposes a time and place, I'll try to be there. But first I have to find out were I'm going to stay.

My boss will be paying, so it can be a little bit more fancy for me ;)

10. yonhee

yonhee Active Member

You should come see us mad north type peopl :D lots of bands up here to

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    visit
    trip
    ours
    village
    stay
  12. Jan H

Yeah I know, but I have to go were my boss sends me...;):rolleyes:
    Maybe sometime for a holiday or so (when you change your climate :D )

13. Big Twigge

Big Twigge Active Member

Sadly that friday I'll probably be back/driving back to Wem for a rehearsal!(can do any other day before the friday though).
    If you do go out on the friday......have one for me :-D !

14. stephen_clapton

stephen_clapton New Member

Just spotted this thread. Royal Oxford would be nice if you could get your company to pay for you! If not, definatly the travel inn!!

Oh, and dont forget to visit Chinnor as well. Wednesdays and Sundays. Tam o Shanter will lighten up your evenings................. :biggrin:

15. Jan H

OK, I finally managed to figure out my travel details (with some help from our secretary)

I'll be flying on wednesday morning from Brussels to London Heathrow, and going back to Brussels on saturday with the plane leaving at 5.45 PM

I'l be staying in the "Bowood House hotel" in Kidlington, just north of Oxford (and quite close to NeilW's and MoominDave's bandrooms it seems, so I'll certainly try to say hi to at least one of them.... ;))

Wednesday, thursday and friday will probably be packed with work (hopefully not in the evening), but the saturday is still open. I only have to find the best way to get from Oxford to Heathrow on saturday. Is there a quick and easy train connection? If anybody nows a good website to find this out, I would be very gratefull... For the rest I can get around by foot or taxi I guess...

16. NeilW

NeilW Member

I'd take a coach (bus) from Heathrow to Oxford. See
    http://www.theairline.info/lhr_tt.htm for full details. Then you'd have to catch a local bus or a taxi up to your hotel in Kidlington.

Local transport within the Oxford area is here:

http://web.comlab.ox.ac.uk/oxinfo/timetables/

Unfortunately the only trains from LHR go into London, which is the completely the wrong direction, so you'd have to change there and then come BACK to Oxford!

Hope this helps...

Neil.

17. Jan H

Getting from Heathrow to Oxford is not the problem, because our customer offerd to pick us up at the airport, but I also have to get back to the airport on saturday. But I will check with the customer, maybe thet can help me.

How long is it to drive from the North of Oxford to Heathrow. As long as it's reasonable, I could also take a taxi (or cab as you probably call it in England?). But thanks for the links anyway!

18. Jan H

Hello everyone, I just returned at home, after four days in England, and also 4 days without an internet connection. Result: 1542 new posts... :shock::shock::shock:

I had a great time in England. The job I had to do went very well and I enjoyed visiting Oxford (which is actually very much like Leuven, but with even more historical buildings... - the only difference of course is that the pubs close MUCH earlier :-?)

Thanks to Dave, Catherine and all the people of Kidlington Concert Brass (sorry, but I didn't catch all of your names!) for letting me visiting you. I hope you were satisfied with your 8th place at Yeovil...

Oh, and by the way, do you all realize that you're driving on the wrong side of the road :shock::shock::shock::shock:

:p

19. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

It was really nice of you to visit us, Jan; bring your Cornet next time! The girls were cooing over you in the car on the way back on Thursday. ;)

We're actually pretty pleased with 8th, as we didn't play as well as we should have, and we traditionally get trounced at Yeovil...