My first attempt at golf!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Dave Payn, Feb 3, 2005.

1. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

Here on Arran, there are seven golf courses; five 9-hole, one 12-hole and one 18 hole course. I had my first stab at it today! Not bad, I guess. One of the courses (in Machrie) has a couple of mini 'practice holes' for complete beginners like me. (Luckily, for others, I was the only one hacking away at the practice holes!) It was a bit boggy in places and the 'fairway' was I reckon, 'light rough' but I managed to remember a few techniques one of the locals kindly passed on to me a few weeks ago and didn't lose a ball! (Well, not a GOLF ball...).

I shall stick it out to see if there's any noticeable improvement but suddenly, I'm pining for Tiger Woods 2005 on the XBOX. It's so much easier! My wrists hurt now! (Stop sniggering at the back, there! :))

Any other golfers here? What was your first stab at it like?

The nice thing about the Machrie course is (a) the locals are very welcoming and friendly and (b) the practice holes are free!
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2005
  2. WhatSharp?

WhatSharp? Active Member

NO DON'T DO IT! Golf aargh!.... a good walk spoilt.....the only sport where a white man can get away with looking like a pimp :D the only good thing about golf courses is that in the winter with a decent fall of snow you can go sledging on them! :D
  3. Sam Atherton

Sam Atherton Member

What he said :D . Golf is bad and wrong! Unless, of course, we're talking about crazy golf...
  4. Will the Sec

Will the Sec Active Member

My first attempt at golf was mixed. I hit the pin on the first hole at Chulmleigh in Devon, and was left with a six inch putt for a birdie. Elsom W, -1.

Each hole was a par 3, par 54 for the whole course. After my great start, I completed the course in 108, 54 over par.

Imagine how bad it would have been if I'd got a bogie or worse on the first!!!!
  5. Vickitorious

Vickitorious Active Member

Well.. I'm not exactly a golfer LOL! But I went along with my brother one day to the course that he goes to just to the range to smack a few balls accross the course... :biggrin:

my first attempt?....

well.... It took me 5 minutes to hit 'my first attempt' and my brother wouldn't let me use his sticky things because he thought I would break or bend them! :eek: ..... me???? never!?! :shock:

6. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

Too late, Steve............. I'm 'hooked' Ha ha! :) You'll have to go a 'fair way' further before you can dissuade me! I'll have to keep an 'iron' you from now!

Now then, where did I put that beige Pringle V-neck?......

7. iggmeister

iggmeister Member

Keep at it Dave

Golf is one of the most relaxing things to do so long as you remember that it is only a game. When you start to take it a bit more seriously, it becomes very frustrating.

I took up the game after watching a 'lesson' from Peter Allis on BBC 2 some 10 years ago. I went to my local club, borrowed a few clubs and went out on the range. 10 years on I am a member of the local golf club and get the occassional day off work to play in charity events, (otherwise known as additional holiday!).

I usually try to get a round in with the other golfers in the band the day before a contest. helps us chat about the coming weekend and relax before the stress of the big day.

Perhaps the greatest game on earth?!

(16 Handicap and falling)
  8. kiwiposaune

kiwiposaune New Member

First attempt was 147. A few months later I shot 87. It was another 6 months before I broke 100 again - however by now I was developing a severe mental disorder. Gradually I was stealing practice time (trombone) to go to the driving range, going without slide-o-mix so I could pay green fees and finally selling one of my Mt. Vernons to fund the joining fee at a club. The handicap got down to 4 but my range dropped by an octave. I started putting tees into my leadpipe. About 3 years ago I got it under control but just lately the voices in my head have started up again .......