My fairy lights won't stay up!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by meandmycornet, Dec 8, 2006.

1. meandmycornet

meandmycornet Active Member

Hi all!

I have a bit of a problem!
    I bought some fairy lights for £2.62 from Woolies to make my little uni room feel a bit more festive... I DON'T FEEL VERY FESTIVE THOUGH!!

I have stuck them back up every day with new tape... and frankly I'm not happy!

Last night was worse though.... I woke up at about 3am to go to the Loo.... but found I couldn't get out of bed because I was entangled in about 3 metre's of fairy light!

Please somebody come up with an amazing solution for my fairy light problem!

Fi
    xx

2. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

3. meandmycornet

Yes but will I be able to get it off the wall afterwards? :tongue: I'd like to keep my damage deposit intact Mr John! :tongue:

4. TheMusicMan

Of course you will, but I shouldn't stick it to paper!

5. meandmycornet

well seeing as my room is wallpapered... probably not the best idea in the world!

Anymore suggestions? :tongue:

6. dyl

dyl Active Member

Best use Duct Tape Fi, duck tape will drive you quackers! ;)

7. Di

Di Active Member

Stick them on the window instead. You can buy rubber suckers with hooks on specially for this purpose. ;)

8. stephen_clapton

stephen_clapton New Member

You could always take the wallpaper down, paint the room with a decent colour (see here), and then you can use the duck tape with no worries at all :clap:

9. KMJ Recordings

KMJ Recordings Supporting Member

I know you've already said that you won't be using it, but duct / duck / any aquatic bird tape can be a real PITA to get off - and there are different grades with different adhesives as well...

We use it all the time for keeping cables out of the way, and if you use the wrong stuff, you can remove floors, walls and anything else that's in the least bit liable to losing a surface.

[If I was to be really helpful, I'd say Araldite 'em up - at least they'll still be there for next year's occupants ;) ]

10. davidquinlan

davidquinlan Member

Don't put them up.
    Extra lights and electic decorations etc are a pointless waste of energy..... (and a fire hazard too)

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Woolies
    Fixx
    Loo
    fairy light problem
    fairy lights wo
  12. Big Twigge

Big Twigge Active Member

Go for the 'make the floor look festive' option - always a winner - no adhesive required.

13. DaveR

DaveR Active Member

I stick a couple of drawing pins in the wall and hang the lights off them. Obviously, stick the pins in first so that there is no danger of you sticking the pin through the cable, which is not recommended.

Then, you will only have two tiny pin holes in the wall to deal with. The room assessor probably won't even notice them when he/she comes round at the end of the year to see if your deposit can be refunded, but just in case, just smear a little bit of toothpaste over the hole, taking care not to leave a huge smear on the wall paper - you just need to fill in the hole. When it dries it should dry white and be pretty inconspicuous. (Toothpaste has a very similar composition to polyfiller, in case you were wondering!)

14. Dave 2nd2nd Cornet

Dave 2nd2nd Cornet Active Member

Wow, are we still allowed to call them "fairy lights", not very PC, might upset someone:eek:

15. Sellers_Bird

Sellers_Bird Active Member

bah humbug to you sir

16. bigmamabadger

bigmamabadger Active Member

"Lights That Bat For The Other Team"? Doesn't make me feel very festive...
    BMB
    xx

17. Rapier

Rapier Supporting Member

Get a couple of Bass players to hold them up for you. They aren't much use for anything else. :)

18. TheMusicMan

tMP is proud to announce the winner of the "tMP Bah Humbug" award goes to... ;)

19. NeilW

NeilW Member

Does your room have picture rails?

If so, map pins into the top (or indeed dressmakers pins) in the top don't show and can be used to support decorations and lights. Map pins have plastic tops which makes them a little safer.

Round here the going rate for wallpaper damage is at least 50p per mark in rental property, so taking chunks off with tape isn't going to help you get your deposit back.

Neil.

20. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

Just stick the cable between the lights to the wall with some gobs of Blu-Tack. If you use enough if it, the lights will never fall down. Come New Year you'll have no holes in the wall to cover up. Result!

21. SuperMosh

SuperMosh New Member

Surely there will be enough shine with the lights? Adding Bass players to the equation will make it too darn bright.

Get some of them sky hooks. They're great.

22. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Woolies
    Fixx
    Loo
    fairy light problem
    fairy lights wo