Mutes Required

Discussion in 'Classifieds' started by barrytone, May 8, 2006.

1. barrytone

barrytone Member

I am looking to purchase a full set of mutes for the bass, euphonium and horn sections - including the flugel. Would quite like Peter Gain mutes for the horns/flugel and euphs as these would be compatable with the baritone mutes we already have. I am interested in any available for bass, excluding metal ones.

Anyone with any to sell can PM me. I am not looking to buy a full set from a single source, although that would be nice, but would buy single mutes as long as they are compatable with each other.

ps. would also be interested in a Peter Gain baritone mute if any available. thanks again.
  2. mike mclean

mike mclean New Member

If you are still looking for mutes, please give me a call on 0161 678 7849 or 07881 715789. I will definately be able to help you.

3. Rob Hanson

Rob Hanson New Member

Try / 01823 282386
    They have the Dembro fibre mutes in stock. These are available in cup or straight formatt for all instrumentation and are cheaper than the Peter Ganes.
  4. BOB

BOB Member

I would agree with Rob. We bought a number of the Dembro mutes (Euph,baritone,horn) - they are well in tune - made such a difference to our area performance on Journey.

You are right to be asking for opinions - it's an expensive business !!
  5. Bones

Bones Member

Not to mention they come in a funky carry bag as well. Seriously, this would aid the longevty of what is an expensive and little used mute.

Worth considering
  6. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Last edited: May 16, 2006
  7. rutribal

rutribal Member

Hi there. Couldn' help but to poke my nose in!!!

With regards to mutes for Flugels I suggest using trombone mutes and filing the corks down loads. In my experience, and having talked to other flugel players and mute suppliers, mutes designed for the flugel can be useless. The Peter Gane Straight mute is good but after that, buy trombone mutes. The bell just eats up Flugel mutes and it makes them horrendously sharp. The best thing to do really, is to get your Flugel player to try a variety of them and I bet you end up with trom mutes like most players. I have found they are best.

(buzz buzz buzz!?!)