Mutes for Tubas?

Discussion in ' User Reviews' started by cobrebandnerd, Mar 24, 2005.

1. cobrebandnerd

cobrebandnerd New Member

I'm in the market for a Tuba practice mute. Is there any mute that is better than the rest? I'm especially looking into the Yamaha Silent Brass System. Is there anything better?
  2. prudhoebass

prudhoebass New Member

Have you tried a dead sheep??
  3. katharine

katharine Member

i've got me one of those don maslet / dennis wick practice mutes. works pretty well, but can't use it for too long in one go cos it affects the tuning quite a lot.

fits easily in to the bell inside a gig bag, so easy to carry around.

not really the same type of thing as a silent brass, but it is a cheaper alternative.
  4. Darth_Tuba

Darth_Tuba Active Member

I agree on the Don Maslet mute. It's handy as it stays in the gig bag etc so it's easy to take wherever you go. I found the silent brass to cumbersome and a pain to set up. I could never be bothered using the headphone system and it is just generally too big.
  5. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

... you have to watch the Yamaha mute as it's weight can tip the bell balance changing the embouchure if you play with it tilting slightly. I've never had a problem with tuning with the Don Maslet on my Yamaha Maestro 632S.
  6. katharine

katharine Member

maybe you're just better at tuning than me! :oops: but i'll blame it on my Sovereign for now! :clap:
  7. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

... it was only when the sealing ring was shoved out of position that it affected upper register!
  8. Bass Man

Bass Man Active Member

I play a sovereign and find that a Don Maslet is the best mute to use, however, I tend to agree that a dead sheep is also quite good
  9. Gorgie boy

Gorgie boy Member

I use a Silent Brass and find it's ok - just a bit of trouble in the upper register. I agree that it's a bit of a nightmare putting it together all the time - so I stopped dismantling it and just hide it in the spare room!

Whatever mute you use, it's just not the same as practising without one though.

Paul Drury
  10. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

erm., I keep my silent brass package (in it's case) on top of my wardrobe and it sorta fell off a month or two ago, breaking two of the securing clips that hold the mute together. :oops: However, after not being able to find spares anywhere, I resorted to some D.I.Y.. What did I use? Self-adhesive Velco strips from B&Q for less than £3 and laced them through the clip assembly to attach to the stuck-on hook strips. Works perfectly (... just remember to line up the mic in a position to suit!). I dread to think how much replacement elasticated clips for the silent brass would cost! :mad: