Mutes for basses

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Bigchap, Oct 9, 2003.

1. Bigchap

Bigchap New Member

Our band are looking to purchase four new mutes for the Bass section (and from where I sit that sounds like a good idea).
    Apparently we were proposing to buy Peter Gane mutes but due to the untimely demise of the manufacturer they are no longer available.
    Following receipt of an unexpected windfall (otherwise known as 1st prize at Wychavon) we are now seriously looking at buying a set. I would appreciate the views of members of the forum on the best mutes to buy for an aspiring 1st section band.

Big Chap

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Bass
    Peter Gane
    new mutes
    section band
    Peter Gane mutes
  3. Big Fella

Big Fella Member

I have been told, that as such the Peter Gane business has been bought, complete with order book, and is in the process of being transfered to Scotland. I enquired about a mute a few weeks ago, and was told the business would be up and running at the very latest January next year.....

Might be an idea to speak to a few suppliers, and find out what they know. The information was given to me at the Open...

4. Bass Mutes

The ones that Leyland use seem to be better than the old Peter Gane ones to me (bit clearer sound). I'm not sure what brand they are, Darth Tuba will know if you can catch him on here.

Richard.
    (Besses)

Or I'm sure he wouldn't mind you e-mailing him, see his profile;

http://www.themouthpiece.com/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=424

5. Aidan

Aidan Active Member

Re: Bass Mutes

he's worse than me!! :eek: :)

ello rich

6. picju96

picju96 Member

Why are there so many beeps in that post?

7. Aidan

Aidan Active Member

yeah i know.. iv just posted about that too!!!
    I think the beeper has had a slight mare :!:

8. Darth_Tuba

Darth_Tuba Active Member

The mutes that we use are handmade wooden jobbies and the name escapes me at present. They are far clearer sounding than most mutes I've used (i.e. they sound like a muted tuba and alter the timbre rather than sounding like a tuba with a towel down the bell!). We bought ours via Alan Gregory music in Fallowfield, Manchester. They came in at about £400-£500 for the full set as I recall. I will check on the make name next time I'm at the bandroom.

9. plus if you do manage to find a new Peter Gane mute, i'd check it over first to see if its in working order or not, cos when i bought mine about 3yrs ago from the guy who sat in his shed in wales somewhere and made them when he felt like it, my guess is that he was probably ratted when he made mine... and it still cost me £99!!!

10. Hilary Mateer

Hilary Mateer Member

Bass Mutes

We are going to have to get a set for Tristan Encounters.

Seems an awful lot of expense to go to for just a few bars :cry:

11. Naomi McFadyen

Naomi McFadyen New Member

be a good excuse to play other pieces that need mutes :p

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Bass
    Peter Gane
    new mutes
    section band
    Peter Gane mutes
  13. HBB

HBB Active Member

Our band has actually used Traffic Cones, because we hadn't the money .... it's funny, but they didn't work!

:(

So we had to buy one! :D

Luckily cornet mutes are cheap (in consideration).

14. Darth_Tuba

Darth_Tuba Active Member

Well, speaking from my own perspective we have to use them in a lot of top section pieces. Off the top of my head, a few test pieces I've done that needed mutes:

Variations on an Enigma
    Jazz
    Atlantic
    Masquerade
    Planets (Jupiter)
    Chivalry
    Maunsell Forts

They're just a few from the last couple of years, quite a few have been area pieces, so a decent set of mutes is a sound investment if you want to do what the composer intended!

15. tubatu

tubatu Member

I have a Humes and Berg Straight Mute that I use in my Sovereign and I have no complaints about it.

16. AndyCat

AndyCat Active Member

I prefer the metal Denis Wick ones to play on, they are a lot easier to keep in tune in my experience. Look a bit daft tho! :D

17. Darth_Tuba

Darth_Tuba Active Member

Yes, these are also good. Idealy I would like one of the metal ones AND wooden ones. The white wick metal ones do look like jumbo sized ann summers purchases though! :lol: Our wooden ones are Peter Lawrence hand made mutes (see, I remembered to look!).

18. Bigchap

Bigchap New Member

Thanks for all of your contributions. That should give the band and particularly our treasurer something to think about.

Big Chap