Mute Cork

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Valvecap, Nov 2, 2004.

1. Valvecap

Valvecap Member

Wow - this is my first post in a long while...

Embarrassing situation - turned up at rehersal the other night - playing away - came to use my cup mute - to find no cork on it what so ever. A good friend of mine apologised and said he decided to re cork my cup mute as it was looking rather sorry for itself (its seen a lot of miles) but when he had come to stick new cork on he found not only did he have no cork, but he had no glue either. (Stupid boy) - i now have cork and glue and have used (on good recomendation) champagne corks (not sure WHY the recomendation but i can hazard a guess) and the seal is fantastic compared to the originals, even when they were new. Just wondering if anyone has some more modern (of different) solutions to the age old problems of cork on mutes.

VC

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Cork Wow
    Mute Cork
    age old problems of cork
    new cork
    good recomendation
  3. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Try getting some cork place-mats. At least they will be of uniform thickness (last ones I got were 11mm) and cheap to buy (2 mats, 190mm diam.,£2.50 at local hardware store). Mucking around with bottle corks may give you grief unless you have patience and some woodworking skills. :)

4. Incognito

Incognito Member

You can use wine corks quite successfully.
    Cut them into strips (like oven chips!)
    Then wrap sandpaper round the mute and rubt he cork where it is to fit.
    You will then end up with the correct curve on the inside of the cork.
    Then use an impact adhesive on both surfaces, leave tro dry and stick together.
    Bind with tape and leave overnight.
    Next day you can file the corks down to the correct depth using a block and sandpaper.

For harmon and practice mutes which have an occluding ring you need to use saxaphone pad cork OR cork coaster.mat material (this has more grain than pad cork)
    The difficult bit is getting a bit the right shape as its a difficult surface.
    Make a templete from a piece of paper first.
    You will be surprised how unlike a strip of cork the real shape is.
    The cork will need to be tightly bound with tape and if there is a gap just use the glue to fill it.

I have had a lot of sucess with these techniques over the years.

5. Crazysop

Crazysop Member

My sop harmon mute lost it's foam ring. So i popped to B and Q and bought some rubber draught excluder tape to replace it with. It nows stays put in the instrument better than it did before.

6. sudcornet

sudcornet Member

I know who you are.............it's Valerie Singleton!

Sud.

7. GJG

GJG Well-Known Member

On the other hand, if you are lazier and less imaginative than Incognito, you can buy from:

http://www.windcraft.co.uk/

who have an enormous range of brass and woodwind spares, including cork (synthetic and natural) in all shapes and sizes. (Still have to stick them on yourself, unfortunately; FWIW, I find Superglue Gel (not liquid) very effective - avoids having to tape them up)

G.

8. RonBarnes

RonBarnes Member

When I go to contests I wonder why the trade stands don't just have a box with all those bits and pieces in it, like mute corks, water-key corks, springs, valve felts, etc. They're the sort of things you don't really want to travel down to the shop for.