Musicals - Are you a fan? What's your favourite?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Charmed, Jun 30, 2006.

1. Charmed

Charmed Active Member

In a couple of hours we are off to London for the weekend and tonight we are going to see Evita. We love musicals, but I did not see my first 'proper' musical until a few years ago, since then I've seen, Les Miserables, Phantom of the Opera, Over the Rainbow, Woman in White, Blood Brothers, Miss Saigon, Fame and The King and I. Out of these, my favourite has to be Les Miserables. My least favourite is Over the Rainbow, excellent songs, but more of a play that I didn't really enjoy.

Do you go and see musicals, and if so, what's your favourite? Any recommendations? I prefer more singing and less speaking shows.

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Mis
    Phantom
    London
    Musicals
    fan
  3. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

I am a great fan of musicals, both on stage and as recordings, although it sometimes helps if you've seen it on stage first. I agree with you about "Les Miserables" - seen it twice, and it has a great impact in the theatre. We most recently saw "Guys and Dolls", which was first class, with an excellent pit band, and others we've seen in London over the years include "The King & I" (with Yul Brynner), "Camelot" (with Richard Harris), "Fiddler on the Roof" (with Topol), "Evita" (with Elaine Paige), "My fair lady", "Oklahoma", "South Pacific" and "Oliver".

As to choosing a favourite, it is difficult but I would have to include "Barnum", "Showboat" and "Mack & Mabel" for their music, although they all present a few problems on stage - wish they'd release the "Barnum" production on DVD. Also fond of "Carousel" but would probably go for "Les Mis" as first choice.

4. michellegarbutt

michellegarbutt Supporting Member

On film I liked Seven Brides for Seven Brothers. I've seen several on stage but my favourite was cats. The spinning stage and the cats coming among the audience really added to the atmosphere. I'm quite lucky in the fact my sister and brother in law are both dancers so we get to see anything that they are in.

5. Bungle

Bungle Member

Can't believe you have not mentioned 'West Side Story', just for its music.

6. AndyCat

AndyCat Active Member

Favourite at the moment, and probably onwards, has got to be Mel Brooks' "The Producers". It's a wind up of every musical style and story, and is great both on film (recently released) but even better at the Theatre Royal, Drury Lane. I've seen it twice there now, and will be going again over summer.
    I have played countless pit scores, and been to hundreds of performances, and I agree Les Mis and Miss Saigon are great theatrical spectaculars. But as Musicals go, my favourites, besides the Producers, include 42nd Street, Chicago, Crazy for You, West Side Story, Irene, Mame, Jesus Christ Superstar, Cabaret and City of Angels.
    To actually play, Chicago, Mame, West Side Story, Crazy for You and Cabaret are my favourites so far.
    For a great score, a great laugh and an all round top night out I can't recommend "The Producers" enough, especially if you're not too easily offended!

7. Mrs Womble

Mrs Womble Member

Got to say, for me it has to be Les Miserables, Second to that it would have to be Cats:)

8. Charmed

Charmed Active Member

Tim (the assisstant), my husband, often travels down to London for the day on a Wednesday to see a matinee performance. He went the other week to see Mr Producers and he too thought it was excellent. He also went to see 'Starlight Express'. He wasn't sure if he would like this musical, but again, he thought it was excellent. It was his 2nd favourite to Les Miserables.

9. DaveR

DaveR Active Member

I'm also a vote for Les Mis - the best musical ever written. I can't stand the Lerner and Loewe, Rodgers and Hammerstein-type musicals though. ALW stuff is OK, but I wouldn't rush out to see one. I'd like to see other stuff by Claude-Michel Shoenberg - Miss Saigon etc. I know the music to that one, but I've never seen it.... :(

10. Pythagoras

Pythagoras Active Member

South Park the movie. Clasic songs like Kyle's mum, Blame Canada, Up there, and other I cant type on here.

Only one I've ever seen on stage was Guys and Dolls, which was quite good.

11. dyl

dyl Active Member

Have only seen the one musical - Miss Saigon, and have seen that twice - once in Manchester and then one ofthe current tour shows at the Millenium Centre in Cardiff. Awesome show and music.

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Mis
    Phantom
    London
    Musicals
    fan
  13. Rach_Horn

Rach_Horn Member

Me too...saw it in the west end a few years ago...was fab:clap: ...love Phantom too and saw Miss Saigon in Manchester earlier this year and that was great too!!! :D

14. 2nd man down

2nd man down Moderator Staff Member

Have to admit I'm not a fan of musicals, but we have been to see Phantom of the Opera and Miss Saigon.

I enjoyed them both, especially Phantom, but I remember being more fascinated with all the workings of the stage!!! With the number of trap doors it must have in it it's a wonder the bloomin thing can hold itself together!!!!!

They were both really good tho, I enjoyed them much more than I thought I would.

15. andyp

andyp Active Member

West Side Story defintely number 1 for me, with Les Mis close behind.

Special mention for SouthPark too- hilarious, the song about Kyle's mum is one of the funniest things ever, especially the end!

16. CLAIRE SPONG

CLAIRE SPONG Member

I love musicals, but Les Mis has to be my favourite!
    A really good one to see is The Lion King, it is brilliant and the music is great too. Has anyone seen Rent? I have the music on CD and I'd love to go and see it but I know it is not on in the West End anymore.

17. michellegarbutt

michellegarbutt Supporting Member

Yes I've seen rent. Not one of my favourites but the music is good

18. Rapier

Rapier Supporting Member

I can't believe no one has mentioned the Best Musical ever to be on in the West End!!

We Will Rock You!

19. West Side Story is amazing! I love it.

I wouldn't pay to see any Andrew Lloyd Webber, in fact i wouldn't accept payment to see any of Andrew Lloyd Plagarist ... i mean Webber's musical travesties. Phantom of the Opera uses only one chord sequence and i think 'Music of the Night' bears a shocking similarity to a Puccini Aria (i may be wrong, but there are certainly connections) ... also can someone explain the story of 'Cats'? - I had the misfortune to see the video (not mine, my girlfriends - although i think it may possibly go on e-bay at some point)

Anyway, i'm rambling ....

I've never seen Les Miserables - but i'm not too keen on the music

However, my favourite musicals are the old ones ... even back as far as George and Ira Gershwin or Cole Porter and Irving Berlin

20. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

West Side Story is my all time favorite:clap: .
    Not really into them but thats my number one

21. ekimmort

ekimmort Member

Les Mis, seen it three times, Manchester, Birmingham and London. Brilliant every time

22. Craigsav83

Craigsav83 Active Member

I've only been to 2, Cats and Miss Saigon. I thought Miss Saigon was amazing, and Cats was pretty impressive. Unfortunatly I cant get to as many as I would like due to work, band and my studies, but its good to make a night of it.