Musical Snacking...

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by BrianT, Jun 13, 2008.

1. BrianT

BrianT Member

On Radio 2 the other night I heard some discussion about how the format we buy music in affects how we listen. For instance, on a cassette, even if you don't like a track there's no straightforward way of finding the start of the next one. So you just listen to the end anyway. For instance, when I first listened to "The Nightfly" by Donald Fagen there were some tracks I didn't much like (Maxine), but as I was listening on cassette I listened anyway. And now those are some of my favourites. Perseverance paid off.

Also, when you listen to a vinyl LP, you finish the first side and there's a sense of expectation when you turn over and listen to the start of side 2...

The CD and MP3 formats mean we're more likely to "snack" on musical stuff - if something doesn't catch our ear we just click on to the next track, and end up browsing through an album listening to a few seconds of each track.

How much decent music is going unheard because we flick through it and don't really engage, when a bit of perseverance would pay long term benefits?

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Snacking
    format
    affects
    some
    Radio 2
  3. Cornet Nev.

Cornet Nev. Member

A good point as far as the non musical general public is concerned, but we are a bit different as we are musicians. How many times do we all finish up playing a piece we have heard before but hate, and still hate after having played it time and time again.

4. StellaJohnson

StellaJohnson Active Member

In the 80's cassettes were great as there was rarely a bad song on an album whereas now you need cd's as there is to much rubbish in the charts.

5. akwarose

akwarose Active Member

I have to confess to musical snacking. If I buy a cd I will listen to the entire CD and decide which tracks I like and which ones I could leave but I still listen to the entire CD each time, I paid for 10 tracks i'm gunna bloomin well listen to them!!! however, when it comes to my iPod i'm terrible. Bearing in mind all the tracks on there were put on by me because i like listening to them, I tend to skip quite a few before the first few seconds are gone!

6. Ipswich trom

Ipswich trom Member

That's interesting because i am exactly the opposite. I put the IPOD on shuffle play whilst travelling up & down on the train to London and end up listening to stuff that I would probably never get round to putting on if i had to select a cd.