Musical Prediction...

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by BrianT, Sep 7, 2006.

1. BrianT

BrianT Member

Many of the "pop" pieces currently played by brass bands are at least 20 years old. Boney M, Queen, Rolling Stones, Tweets (aaargh), etc.
    So what of today's pop will we be playing in 20 years time?
    Just imagine your band in 2026 playing "I'm just a teenage dirtbag" or "Smells like teen spirit"...
    Any predictions?
  2. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Madonna, Blue, Robbie Williams ... usual stuff tramped out on the radio and telly.
  3. Will the Sec

Will the Sec Active Member

Scope for a Sop solo at the end of that!
  4. starperformer

starperformer Member

name a piece to which this comment does not apply?
  5. Will the Sec

Fantasy for the lower end by Gordon Rayson (Cornets tacet throughout)
  6. starperformer

starperformer Member

...a golden opportunity to showcase the underused beauty of the sop pedal register in a short obligato passage
  7. timbloke

timbloke Member

Sorry to be picky, but wasn't "I'm just a teenage dirtbag" released 6 years ago and "Smells like teen spirit" released in 1991 so not far off these oldies you speak of.

Perhaps "I don't feel like dancing" by Scissor Sisters, or some Arctic Monkeys. Maybe someone more like athlete, snow patrol, coldplay or keane who have a bit more orchestration about them. The biggest problem with newer music is that it is very simple instrumentation and therefore needs a lot of padding out to make it into a good brass band piece.
  8. Will the Sec

Well, Dave Redhead IS a great player...
  9. Sellers_Bird

Sellers_Bird Active Member

in 2026 I will be 44, which is something I dont really want to think about right now!! Hippo
  10. andyp

andyp Active Member

Since today's music is just manufactured Pop Idle re-writes of the music of the 60's and 70's anyway how will anyone notice?
    (extreme e.g - every slow song Oasis have ever done = Pachlebel's Canon!)
  11. bigmamabadger

bigmamabadger Active Member

I'll be approaching my 57th birthday! Noooooo!
  12. Will the Sec

13. Flutey

Flutey Active Member

I'll be nearly 35 :eek: :eek: :eek: I feel old already thanks to this!
  14. Morghoven

Morghoven Member

Hopefully bands won't feel the need to play so many dodgy pop song arrangements in 20 years time!

That could of course mean dodgy songs or dodgy arrangements - or both!

In any case, I think maybe we should concentrate on producing attractive original music. Granted there's always room for a skillful arrangement of a good melody, but is there really a demand for every repetitive guitar riff to be transferred to brass band? I don't think so...

15. matthetimp

matthetimp Member

Just a thought that if the youth situation don't improve, bands may not be playing anything at all due to no players. Or they could be playing green day wake me up (when september ends)

Sorry to post such negative comments
  16. Nigel Hall

Nigel Hall Supporting Member

Yeah, but he don't play low notes - anything lower that C (third space) and quieter than ff and he isn't interested!!! :biggrin:
  17. Di

Di Active Member

So, what you're saying is, Dave can be relied on to never lower the tone. Sounds our sort of chap. ;)

Sorry, I'll get my coat and let you guys carry on. :oops:
  18. bigmamabadger

Bands have always played dodgy pop songs. Music hall favourites were played by bands in the early 20th century...
  19. Bungle

Bungle Member

So we can look forward to arrangements of S Club 7 and Steps (shudders)
  20. bigmamabadger

Exactly. We already play The Carpenters...