Musical Knowledge?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Curiosity_Kills, Oct 14, 2007.

?

How would you define your knowledge of new music?

1. Little to No knowledge of most new music

6 vote(s)
    18.2%
  2. Brass Band - Decent / Other Idioms - Little to None

3 vote(s)
    9.1%
  3. Brass Band - Little to None / Other Idioms - Decent

1 vote(s)
    3.0%
  4. Decent Knowledge of most new music

6 vote(s)
    18.2%
  5. Brass Band - Very Good / Other Idioms - Decent

5 vote(s)
    15.2%
  6. Brass Band - Decent / Other Idioms - Very Good

10 vote(s)
    30.3%
  7. Very Good knowledge of most new music

2 vote(s)
    6.1%
  1. I was curious as to everyone's musical tastes so I've decided to set up this poll and see what sort of results we get ...

It's also related to a chat I was having with a friend about whether Brass band music has created it's own niche away from the developments of other musical genres.

2. Hells Bones

Hells Bones Active Member

What poll?

3. set up now ...

4. Di

Di Active Member

^^ That one. ;)

When creating a thread with a poll, you submit the post and are then taken to the poll set up, so it can take a couple of minutes to get the questions in and posted. ;)

5. Hells Bones

Hells Bones Active Member

Ah, ok!

I don't tend to listen to new music. I can't afford to buy all the new albums of my favourite bands and I don't have the music channels that my prefered genre's of music are played on. I might get the odd one that appeals to mainstream idioms on MTV but that is once every blue moon. Also, my prefered Genre's of music doesn't have a radio station purely because it is such a fringe genre that they would have a limited audience.

6. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

There is so much being recorded to suit all tastes I find that the more you listen to (regardless whether it is new or not) the less you really know. I'll have to pass on this poll!

7. mikelyons

mikelyons Supporting Member

What do you mean by New music? If you mean comtemporary pop then I don't listen to any of it. As far as I'm concerned it is mostly rubbish. Much of the newer 'classical' music is also ephemeral and pretentious tosh, appealing to the lowest common denominator of public taste (and I use that term loosely as well.)

I'm not a fan of a lot of avant garde stuff either. I listen to (but frequently fail to enjoy or be entertained or be 'engaged' by) enough of it to be useful in lessons. I have been frequently quoted in school as saying that music died in 1850, and that just about covers it.

8. tpcornet12

tpcornet12 Member

I'm not sure I understand the options, maybe I'm thick! :confused: If you can explain it I may be able to offer an opinion.

9. You should try iTunes - you can get songs for just 79p!

10. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

I clicked the last option - I listen to all sorts from brass band to orchestrial to pop old and new and am mostly passionate about all of it. There is good contemporary stuff about (I guess I'm talking "pop" music here) but it's generally not the X factor inspired **** that is overloading the charts these days.

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Knowledge
    band music
    tastes
    everyone
    sort