Musical Holidays

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by bagpuss, Oct 18, 2004.

1. bagpuss

bagpuss Active Member

Another thread got me thinking. Is there anywhere you'd like to go for a musical holiday?? Some where like a musical mecca????

My personal would be New Orleans. Been there twice and I'd go again and again!!

By the way, anyone who says that their ideal musical holiday would be a weekend in Pontins Prestatyn in October needs to get out more and should very definitely be shot as soon as possible.

Puss

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Holidays
    anywhere
    Some
    anyone
    mecca
  3. lynchie

lynchie Active Member

I'd love to go to New Orleans, or maybe Havana... although Prestatyn is tempting....

4. trombelle

trombelle Member

yer me and daddy-belle have always said we will go to New Orleans just as soon as
    a) we can afford it and
    b) mummy-belle lets us lol

5. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

This may seem a bit funny (considering many of you live in these areas and wouldn't take a holiday to where you live), but we had taken holidays to London for the Nationals, Birmingham for the Open and Manchester for the RNCM Brass Festival before moving here.

We had also taken trips to NY to see the theatre and Salzburg for the Summer MusikFest, both of which I can highly recommend (Salzburg is sooo beautiful in the summer).

PJH

6. Big Twigge

Big Twigge Active Member

I certainly can recommend Cuba and Havana. If you do go a trip to club Tropicana is a must "where all the drinks are free..." (as long as it's rum!)
    And some lucky people even got special musical presents ;)

7. Jan H

Jan H Moderator Staff Member

New Orleans is very nice indeed (but watch out with those "hurricane" cocktails! I almost missed my plane because of them :) )

8. bagpuss

bagpuss Active Member

And absolutely outstanding it is too!!!! Never had a musical present before!! :D

Puss

9. Keppler

Keppler Moderator Staff Member

Oh good! Thanks Caz!

it must be lost in the post though.. I'd chase that up if I were you....

10. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

OK, I'm biased as a tutor, but the WMA (Workers Music Association) Summer School's motto is 'Music our Holiday'. Next year's course will be at Giggleswick School near Leeds, the first time it's moved from Wortley Hall in over 50 years but it was needed as space at the hall was running out and student applications were generally on the up! Though Wortley Hall was great and with it a load of fabulous memories, this move is a huge boon to the school and its potential students. There are a shedload of courses to choose from (including brass band with a mouthy southern git conducting....;-)) but it is a HOLIDAY as opposed to a really intense course, though of course, as tutors, we do strive to make sure everybody takes something new away with them (other than glasses from the bar....). So, if you're interested, visit www.workersmusic.co.uk (new website for the WMA. Having teething troubles today, so you may not be able to access it until later). next year's course is a week earlier than usual, from July 31st to August 7th.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2004
  11. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Holidays
    anywhere
    Some
    anyone
    mecca
  13. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

Hey, Floral Dance for something along the lines of the event/s it was composed for are fine by me. Just brass bands and THAT arrangement of Floral Dance I object to! :)

14. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

Well our band played at the National Finals last year in Dundee 1st Section,.

We stopped at RAMARDA JARVIS HOTEL PERTH, a fantastic time for the Band hotel was GREAT THE FOOD was help yourself BREAKFAST, drinks in the bar were very good McQuans 80$ ale £2.20 a pint.
    A lot of the band members had never been to Scotland they really enjoyed it,even if we were drawn NUMBER 1 in the first Section but still came 8th.:-D

15. fitzy

fitzy Active Member

Mr G.Brand has stated that Easter in Australia is a good trip! (Our Nationals are in Adelaide next year then)

The Melbourne International Festival of Brass is held in August every year and it is a great experience. We had Allen Vizzutti here this year and the American Horn Quartet just to name a few.

Check it out here,

http://www.mifb.com.au/

16. bigmamabadger

bigmamabadger Active Member

Yes, but only if you reeeeeeaaalllly love Mozart. Look, you can even buy his Balls, fer cryin' out loud!
    On the whole, you can't beat a good old British pub full of a Welsh Male Voice Choir. It works on so many levels....
    BMB ;)
    xx

17. Big Twigge

Big Twigge Active Member

I'm sure I got your address right.....Keppler, Dublin isn't it?;)

18. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

You may enjoy a pub full of an all Male's chorus, but that's not my bag (Sounds like quite a SausageFest to me ;))

19. Keppler

Keppler Moderator Staff Member

bingo... Actually, "Keppler, Ireland" works just as well..

I'll look out for it then... ooooh the suspense..