Music writing software required

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by hellraiser, Oct 2, 2004.

1. hellraiser

hellraiser Member

Hi, I need to get hold of some freebie software on the net that will allow me to write music, as my handwriting is appalling! Just something simple, easy to use will do, don't need anything fancy, but something that can transpose music would be a bonus. Any recommendations? Thanks.

2. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

3. hellraiser

hellraiser Member

Thanks, I'll give that a go and let you know if it's any good!

4. Dawnys_flug

Dawnys_flug Member

Try finale notepad. It's just like a basic version of finale and has playback etc. It's pretty good for free! Give it a try!

Dawn

5. skweeky

skweeky Member

the best bet is to pay for 1

6. Hollie

Hollie Member

7. Dawnys_flug

Dawnys_flug Member

Nice one Hollie, I couldn't remember the link! ;)

8. brasscrest

brasscrest Active Member

I use a package called Lime, which is programmed by a group at a major American university. It is shareware, the registration is $65 US. It has all the major features of the "big" packages, including playback, although the output isn't quite as pretty, good enough for regular band stuff but probably not publication-quality. Has both Mac and Windows versions. Does not require a large amount of computer resources, so will run on older/less capable machines.

The link is http://www.cerlsoundgroup.org/

9. Naomi McFadyen

Naomi McFadyen New Member

Noteworthy composer.... I hate it... but, you know, it's free soooooooooooo... what d'ya expect! :lol: (search for it on google!)

Else, go on Sibelius' website and download the demos...
    OR, do what I did, and buy it!! :lol: ;)

10. mikelyons

mikelyons Supporting Member

I agree with Naomi and skweeky. Eventually you are gonna need a full copy of a decent program. As with all 'freeware' there's always something missing or lacking in what it can do.

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    net
    Hi
    hold
    something
    music
  12. GJG

GJG Well-Known Member

Indeed, for example, Finale "Notepad" will not allow you to change key or time signatures within a piece. However, the Finale family of products includes a couple of intermediate packages, "PrintMusic" and "Allegro" which are both considerably cheaper than either Sibelius or the full version of Finale. PrintMusic is the next level up from Notepad, and retails in the UK for around £60; it will easily handle a basic brass band score (max 24 staves - Notepad allows only eight)

Here is a link to a comparison chart: http://www.finalemusic.com/finale/product-comparison.htm

The best course is probably to download, install and register the free Notepad package, just to get a feel for how the program works; I don't know for certain, but there are probably then some promo/upgrade offers available if you decide to go further.

G.

13. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

Hmmm... this sounds to me like a potential 'tMP Library' thread. ???