Music to illustrate Tempo

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by meandmycornet, Nov 21, 2006.

1. meandmycornet

meandmycornet Active Member

Hello dear people of tMP land!

I'm loving being a trainee teacher, its so much fun! But I need a little help with my planning!

I'm doing a music lesson about Tempo for a Year 2 group (6 and 7 year olds) and I am trying to find a piece of music that really explicitly illustrates fast and slow for them. Any Ideas?

I'm going to have them moving slowly if the music is slow and moving fast if the music is fast, so something with lots of speed changes would be excellent!

Many thanks

Fi
    xx

2. Anno Draconis

Anno Draconis Well-Known Member

Orchestral music? - try the last 5 mins of Beethoven 9, the William Tell Overture, overture to Nabucco. You could also try Bohemian Rhapsody, or more topically, Fairytale of New York!

3. meandmycornet

Ooooh thank you... was more thinking of something brass bandy... seeing as I'm a band geek!

Although I'm loving the idea of bohemian Rhapsody!

Aaaah 6 year olds are so much fun!

4. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Why not use the Black Dyke recording of Saint-Saens 'Carnival Of The Animals' to demonstrate tempo variation? At least the kids will relate to the animals and you can do your impressions as well! :tongue:

5. meandmycornet

ooooh i like that idea aswell! I have lots of ideas now! :tongue:

6. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

They don't play the full suite though on the recording but you can d/load for a small price here from the Chandos site.

7. BbBill

BbBill Supporting Member

How about one of those (bad!) arragements that Bernaerts or Van Kraeydonck do, ie ABBA, Beatles stuff etc, lots of different songs in the piece, with different time changes

8. Bass Trumpet

Bass Trumpet Active Member

Slightly off the true subject, but a good story; Sir John Barbarolli used to like his eggs cooked exactly to the same time it took to conduct Mozart's Marriage of Figaro overture. He would boil the water, throw the eggs in, then conduct the overture.

He was rather an eccentric, though. He used to eat only once a day, usually about midnight. He managed on about 80 cigarettes a day instead.

9. FlugelD

FlugelD Member

And died when he was 70.

Stuff the healthy, veggie diet, where's me baccy....;)

10. FlugelD

FlugelD Member

Heading back towards topic (Damn the 5 min edit cutoff!!)...

How about Yule Dance? Not only seasonal (and brass) but slow/fast/faster (and the lickle darlings will be ready to collapse and sleep come the end... Result, surely! :clap: )

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    land
    people
    tMP
    piece
    music
  12. Anglo Music Press

Anglo Music Press Active Member

Strathcarron from Hymn of the Highlands has alternate slow and fast sections. Any good?

13. BrianT

BrianT Member

Dexy's "Come on Eileen." I reckon the tempo doubles in the middle section.

14. Rapier

Rapier Supporting Member

And most of them taller than you too. :D

15. nickjones

nickjones Active Member

Intercity - Darrol Barry is a good one for tempo changes slow - fast - slow and it's pretty descriptive too...
    hope this helps.

16. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

The better known the pieces are, the better the understanding for the kids in my opinion.

17. meandmycornet

Wow that would be really good... the song I plan to start with is slow/faster/fast so it would reniforce that... and I don't think anything would get this goup of little darlings to sleep!

and Mr Rapier.... I am actually taller than all of them! Its year 4's that are bigger than me! :tongue:

18. Flutey

Flutey Active Member

How about Czardas? That starts slowly and speeds up, gets livlier etc... Also, they wouldn't have much time to get bored before the tempo change!

19. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

- with that new bit of information why not try Reinhold Glière's 'Russian Sailor's Dance'? :confused:

(and they can giggle at your dancing ... :tongue: )

20. TuTuKu

TuTuKu Active Member

Gaelforce? There's a nice slow flugel soloy bit, and the rest of it's pretty quick!

21. Baritonedeaf

Baritonedeaf Member

My Year 2 Class love Extreme Makeover - i have used it for lessons on duration, tempo and timbre...

22. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    land
    people
    tMP
    piece
    music