Music Theory

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Tubby, Apr 10, 2012.

1. Tubby

Tubby Member

Whilst I was at school and indeed sixth form college I learnt alot on music theory through classroom lessons and extra lessons on Tuba. Now I haven't really practised the theory conciously for many years even though I have been playing so what music books could be recommended to me?

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Tuba
    Music Theory
    classroom lessons
    extra lessons
    theory conciously
  3. Laserbeam bass

Laserbeam bass Active Member

Rudiments theory of music
    This would get you from Grade 1 to Grade 8 Associated Board. The cheapest on Amazon is £22.00!

4. euph77

euph77 Member

The AB Guide to Music Theory, Parts 1 and 2 are referenced in the Music Theory in Practice workbooks. If you are intending to do an exam, you can't go wrong with these.

Philip

5. pbirch

pbirch Member

try here, you could also trawl the charity bookshops, it sometimes turns up there at a bargain price

Last edited: Apr 10, 2012
  6. cornyandy

cornyandy Member

Have a look at the Trinity website there's some free exam paper down loads which might sharpen you up to go further

7. Maestro

Maestro Active Member

If I was yhou mate, I'd go and ask jack for a couple of lessons. You could probably learn more from him in an hour, than a month of studing thiose books mate. Failing that, ask Andrew, if he's still got the shop.

8. Tubby

Tubby Member

Andrew is now perri teaching and has closed the shop, as for Jack he is now 90 and his is probably more precious than ever.

9. Accidental

Accidental Supporting Member

If you're happy to self-teach, the AB guides already mentioned are probably your best place to start (they got me through Grade 6 with no teacher and no internet!) You can get them, workbooks, past papers and the classic red 'Rudiments and Theory' book all from Amazon.

10. pbirch

pbirch Member

just found my little red book, the price tag was 40p :)

11. Chris Lee

Chris Lee Member

While you're browsing round the charity shops look out for the 1970s Trinity equivalent of the ABRSM little red book. It is 'A Handbook of Musical Knowledge' (by James Murray Brown) parts 1 and 2. It is a mauve, A5 sized paperback and even more condensed than the red book, for those who don't like too many words in betwen the facts.

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Tuba
    Music Theory
    classroom lessons
    extra lessons
    theory conciously
  13. brassneck

brassneck Active Member