Music Suggestions?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Anno Draconis, Jun 20, 2008.

1. Anno Draconis

Anno Draconis Well-Known Member

I'm trying to "refresh" our library and some of the concert repertoire. I'm not a big fan of cheese (although a few small portions always find their way to the table ;) ), so I'm trying to find a few original pieces for 3rd/4th section standard band that we can include in our concerts. The band have given me a few suggestions which we'll be trying out over the summer - anyone got any others? Preferably NOT arrangements, unless they're really new and really good, and ideally NOT stuff that's been done to death by every band in England!

I'd prefer word of mouth recommendations from people who've actually played the pieces in question. Sneaky adverts/plugs from publishers or composers are much more likely to be fruitful if there's an MP3/Scorch extract I can listen to (in fact I recently bought Philip Sparke's Madrigalum on the strength of the MP3 extract on the Just Music website).

So - any ideas? :D
  2. Masterblaster jnr

Masterblaster jnr Active Member

'Prelude for an occasion' is a reasonably good opener and if you want something a bit, 'unusual' (well that's one way of putting it) try 'The Peanut Vendor'. It is the most unusual piece i have playedm in my life. 2nd horn part plays the last note only and bongos throughout the piece!!!
  3. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

If you have Stavanger's 'The Colour-Gobbler' CD from 1997, have a listen to three numbers from the album and check their suitablility ...

Four Unexpected Dances (Hakon Berge)
    Nocturne (Torstein Aagaard-Nilsen)
    March 2001b (The Oblique One) (Magnus Am) ... class if you like kazoos!
  4. alks

alks Member

My band spent quite a bit over the last two or three years. Bought stacks of stuff both cheese and non-cheese, hard and easy.

Found that Showbizz Forever by Darrol Barry is ok this year, a good opener.
    One suprise was was actually a franky B's original called 'this is brass' not too bad actually. Ideal for summer bandstand programmes.

Will have to make a list of what has been bought recently because my band has also been spending a lot on concert music after years of spending nothing at all!

5. Ipswich trom

Ipswich trom Member

You could try "A Suffolk Prelude" by Andrew Duncan which was written in 2006 for our band. It's on our cd which I thought i gave you when you helped us in Manchester. If not you can find it under the CD recording tab here.

It is available from The Music Company. There is also an MP3 link on their site.

6. Gorgie boy

Gorgie boy Member

I've got that CD - sheer class...............
  7. Gorgie boy

Gorgie boy Member

And while I'm on the subject, M8 Music is a good site!!!!
  8. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

- and relatively unheard of :mad: . The Four Unexpected Dances is worth it alone. Not the most technical of works notewise, but Hakon Berge makes it up with his innovative writing. Rolf Wallin's 'Toccata' is also superb! There were loads of new works recorded by our European cousins during the '90s that were eye-openers. Shame our UK bands didn't follow the same route!
  9. Anno Draconis

Indeed I have got it, I'll have a listen. I'm looking for things that will challenge the band, but that aren't going to take 3 months intensive hard work. I like a lot of T A-N's stuff, so I've got high hopes for the Nocturne now you've raised it as a possibilty.

Thanks Ian, you did give me one of your CDs and I liked "Suffolk Prelude" a lot - how difficult is it? Manageable by a 3rd/4th section band? It's hard to tell by listening sometimes!

Many thanks for the responses, keep 'em coming! :clap:
  10. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

I'm listening to the Nocturne at the moment, and it is great atmospheric writing. Nice inner band sounds to start and reminiscent of various modern classic band composers' styles as it develops. Only 3:30 in length but feels that it should be longer.
  11. alanl58

alanl58 Member

And the link is?

12. Anno Draconis

Anno Draconis Well-Known Member his signature ;)
  13. Ipswich trom

Ipswich trom Member

It has something in it for every section, including percussion and the Euph and Flugel solo's are probably the most challenging parts. There is also a bit of a nasty Sop bit but I would have thought it is definitely playable whilst requiring everyone to work hard at it.
  14. James Yelland

James Yelland Active Member

I shall sound like a cracked gramophone record here, as I have suggested these pieces before in at least one other thread, but in my opinion the following three are all little gems of the English repertoire, which all have the advantage of being at about 4th/3rd level:

Gordon Jacob - Suite in B flat
    Granville Bantock - The Land of the Ever Young
    Philip Lane - Concertino

In terms of musical language, only the Lane will require the audience to concentrate slightly more than normal.

I do feel that Philip Lane has been neglected - he wrote several charming little miniatures - Prestbury Park is another delightful 3 minute concert item.

The Suite was recorded on one of the Regionals CDs a few years ago; the Ever Young is on Salford University's Bantock CD, and Prestbury Park was recorded on an old Stanshawe LP years ago, but I'm not aware it has reappeared on CD. The Concertino, on the other hand, has never been recorded to the best of my knowledge.

Good luck!
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2008
  15. Anno Draconis

I'd forgotten about this; it's a cracking piece and what's more, I think it might be in our library :clap:
  16. mark_scott

mark_scott Member

Anglian Dances by Alan Fernie is a great piece of music despite the fact it was used a testpiece for the regionals in 2006.