Music suggestions for school choir and band

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by tubafran, Dec 5, 2005.

1. tubafran

tubafran Active Member

We have been asked to perform jointly with a secondary school choir and would be keen to hear any suggestions for available arrangements or those than could be adapted for such a concert. I think we only have one piece in our library and that's a Derek Ashmore arrangement of Micheal Row the Boat Ashore - I also think there's a Phil Sparke arrangment of Hymn to the Fallen which could be considered.

As it's a school choir rather than the "all male" type perhaps some upbeat numbers would be better.

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    arrangement
    school choir
    Fallen
    suggestions
    arrangements
  3. brass journo

brass journo Member

There's a great version of David and Goliath for choir and band - did it years ago with band and school choir - can't remember who it's by though.

4. James Yelland

James Yelland Active Member

Malcolm Arnold wrote a piece called 'Song of Freedom' for band and children's choir, although at four movements and about 20 minutes long it might not be what you had in mind. I have to say that it isn't very inspiring musically, but its full of good sentiments which will no doubt appeal to the young mind (world peace, liberty, apple pie, motherhood etc).

5. SteveT

SteveT Member

Music for Band and Choir

I have 2 Xmas arrangements for band and choir which you are welcome to use. They are

1. Coventry Carol. (Easy tutti choir)
    2. Thats what I'd Like For Xmas. (Easy Choir).

The latter is a song especially written for children and was in the charts years ago with Harry Secombe.

I have others too!

If you have sibelius I could e-mail you the files and you could print them off at your end. If you need any advice on conducting them, just let me know,

Stephen Tighe

6. tubafran

tubafran Active Member

Thanks for the offer Stephen but the concerts in February - however if it goes well I hope we will be performing at the school again next Christmas - so yes I'll pm you my email.

7. SteveT

SteveT Member

Choir Music

Oh well, if you have something in mind just let me know. I can normally knock them out in a couple of days. It's money for old rope really!

Steve

8. James Yelland

James Yelland Active Member

The best declaration of professional suicide I've read today! One feels it is unlikely to endear you to the Union of Composers and Arrangers.

9. SteveT

SteveT Member

Really!

I am afraid that we aren't exactly talking about composition here, and arranging a bit of music for a choir and band is pretty simple! In fact it is something all bandmasters should be able to do at the drop of a hat!

Oh and it says in sectio 2c.... paragraph 4 of the Union handbook....... "You are allowed to give your music away as brass bands don't like paying for it anyway!" "Also this will get you extra brownie points in heaven, when you join the great brass section in the sky!"

As for professional suicide, well as I have had 10 new christmas arrangements published this year anyway.... I can afford to buy a new gun!

But thanks for the positive input!