Music Stands

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Jam spoon, Sep 4, 2008.

1. Jam spoon

Jam spoon New Member

Bit of a strange question I guess but has anyone got any idea why most music stands have that "W" shaped bit on the top in the middle?

It seems to be on most brands so there must be some reason for it?
  2. Crazysop

Crazysop Member

Good question! my guesses: Decorative? Traditional? To attach your music to with pegs when it's windy?
  3. Vegasbound

Vegasbound Active Member

Do you mean the Lyre ? it was the ancient/traditional sign for a musician it goes back to a time when not every one could read or write.

A lyre was a small hand held stringed instrument played somewhat similar to a harp often depicted in ancient greece and Rome, also popular in Medeival england.

Musicians in a a number of armed services bands still wear this symbol on their sleeve to denote that they are musicians.
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2008
  4. Thirteen Ball

Thirteen Ball Active Member

Beat me to it, Vegasbound. Correct in every detail as far as I can tell.

That's probably why our 'lyres' for holding music on the march are also still generally shaped that way - though every year I find myself thinking that there must be a more efficient design!!!

Funn how the Harp is generall used on Coats of arms, rather than the lyre, though.
  5. Jam spoon

Jam spoon New Member

Well ****** me, if you'll pardon the phrase!

My wife told me I'd get the answer on here but I never expected such a good answer so quickly!!

Thanks very much for that both of you - this will get me brownie points when I go to the next rehearsal!

It didn't dawn on me either that it was the same shape as a marching lyre.