Music software for composing brass band music

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by berkshire_baritone, Jan 1, 2015.

1. I'm thinking of composing something for my band, and I was wondering if anyone here could advise me what software would be okay. I've used Sibelius before, but it cost loads and I'm not in a position to spend that much.

I'm after something cheap, reliable, can produce a score and parts (functional not needed to be elegant) and can play back even if in a crude way. ideally if it can work from an iPad that would be best, although something cheap for a PC would be okay.

all advice welcome.

2. Cornet Nev.

Cornet Nev. Member

Try MuseScore, it has quite a few of the good points of both Sibelius and Finale, though missing some minor points that paid for softwares have.
    It is completely free open source. Worth a look at as being free, if not happy, just uninstall it and find something else.
    Download it from here :-
  3. mikelyons

mikelyons Supporting Member

I'll second that. If you can't afford Sibelius, MuseScore is a good, free alternative.
  4. Euphonium Lite

Euphonium Lite Active Member

I've used noteflight......although you have to pay to access individual parts you have the option of either paying an annual amount of 30-odd or monthly of about £5.... And there is no minimum length for the monthly payment....
  5. Huge thanks. I will download. Thanks.
  6. GJG

GJG Well-Known Member

You might want to check out Finale PrintMusic (by MakeMusic); it's probably sophisticated enough for creating brass band scores, and although it lacks many of the features of the full Finale package, most of those features are overkill for anyone who isn't working in a high-level professional environment. The full Finale package, like Sibelius, is prohibitively expensive for most "hobby" musicians, however PrintMusic currently retails for around £60, if you search around for the best deal ...
  7. DocFox

DocFox Supporting Member

Sibelius First (a simpler version of the full Sibelius package) works great. I have both Sibelius and Finale. I really got tired of upgrading -- and then having to upgrade my computer to handle all the features you will never or rarely use.

It is not free, but it is rather inexpensive. It even works well with photoscore and a scanner. For Christmas, my late mother-in-law had written a piece for Christmas and our church MD needed in transposed down a major third. It took me about 45 minutes with the scanner. Most of that time was used cleaning up the score so it looked "professional". I could upgrade either Sibelius or Finale now that I have a new computer - but I see no reason to.