Music shops - Manchester

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by wkt, Oct 10, 2006.

1. wkt

wkt Member

I have a couple of hours to spend in Manchester on Thursday. Could anyone recommend a music shop worth browsing? (Might buy some euphonium music but probably won't buy a euphonium). I hope to go to the RNCM for the lunchtime recital.

Thank you.

2. KMJ Recordings

KMJ Recordings Supporting Member

There's Forsyths on Deansgate that might be worth a look. Not been for ages though (although I'm sure I drove past it a few weeks ago so I think it's still there!).

3. wkt

wkt Member

Many thanks Keith. I will give it a go. I also hope to call out to hear Besses in rehearsal in the evening.

4. horn-girlie

horn-girlie Member

deffo foresyths, its great :) woooo

5. Anno Draconis

Anno Draconis Well-Known Member

Forsyth's is OK for sheet music, CDs and pianos, but the brass instrument dept is rubbish. There's a new-ish one at the north end of Portland Street (it might be Rushworths) which has more brass instruments/accessories, but be prepared for the hard sell if you go in there.

6. NeilW

NeilW Member

Music Exchange address is Claverton Rd, M23 9ZA. I've no idea if they have a shop as I've only bought from them mail/web order. (www.music-exchange.co.uk).

(I have bought Euph music from them - can't remember if it was in treble clef or not though..)

Neil.

7. Anno Draconis

Incidentally, don't bother with Besses, Middleton Band have a concert on Thursday night at St Herbert's Church in Chadderton starting at 7.30 (I think :oops: ) - a top night's entertainment in prospect!

8. Lauradoll

Lauradoll Active Member

Dawsons is a massive glass- fronted shop opposite Yates on Portland Street. It's a treat!

9. Anno Draconis

That's the one!

10. joelrn

joelrn Member

There's one up near the RNCM on Oxford Road actually. If you walk out of the RNCM, turn lef onto Oxford road (towards the big round library) if is about 100m on the right hand side of the road. Can't miss it.
    Forsyths is, as has already been suggested good for sheet music etc and they are very helpful.
    Dawsons is much more modern and they have a poor stock of music but it's interesting to see their stock of unusual instruments.
    Forsyth's is near Kendals on Deansgate if you need to ask, and Dawsons is on the right hand side of Portland st, walking from Picadilly Gardens metro stop.

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Manchester
    RNCM
    Music shops - Manchester
    euphonium music
    couple of hours
  12. Lauradoll

Lauradoll Active Member

^^Johnny Roadhouse is the one amongst all the kebab shops on Oxford Road.

13. meandmycornet

meandmycornet Active Member

Go to Forsyth's! When I walked in there I said outloud 'Oh my gosh.... I'm in heaven!' :tongue: I spent aaaaaaaaages in there aswell! Has a very good brass section!

14. KMJ Recordings

I, er, hate to tell you this but it's Friday....and he came to Manchester yesterday ;)

15. meandmycornet

meandmycornet Active Member

Oh well never mind, eh? He should come and tell us where he went :D

16. KMJ Recordings

17. wkt

wkt Member

Many thanks to you all for your help. Went to Manchester on Thursday. Got the free shuttle bus from the train station to Forsyth's. A really nice shop with atmosphere. It is about to undergo renovations, and I suppose they are due. Spent just over an hour there and bought a couple of bits of music. Back onto the shuttle bus and off to the RNCM. Read all the noticeboards, thought about the wonderful opportunity this place provides for talented young musicians, bought tickets for my son to attend the saxophone day next month, attended the brass ensemble recital, spotted a couple of Black Dyke players, walked into town, had a look in the window of Johnny Roadhouse (I think it's called) and spent a while in Dawson's which turned out to be right next door to the Piccadilly hotel where I was staying. Checked into the hotel and met up with colleagues. Worked longer than I hoped for, dined late and didn't get to Besses (or Middleton). Up early Friday, worked until 3.30 pm, went back to Dawson's. Had a chat with the brass person and a guy who works for Besson about the new range of Besson instruments coming out and the fact that the National finals and the Northern Ireland championships are on the same day. Took the train to the airport and flew home. A good balanced couple of days, with your advice:clap: . (Didn't try Music Exchange at Claverton Road, as M23 sounded a bit far out of town. But thank you anyway - I will have a look at their website).