Music request (legal!)

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by GJG, Jun 13, 2006.

1. GJG

GJG Well-Known Member

Dear everyone,

We have lost our copy of the 1st Baritone part to a piece called "Tabarinage" (comp. Robert Docker, arr. Edrich Seibert, publ. Schauer & May 1961).

I have tracked down the library administration to Boosey and Hawkes; they say that unfortunately not only is the piece out of print, but they are not in possession of any 'master' copies from which to offer me a custom reprint.

They have said however, that if I can find someone with an original copy, they will happily give me permission to make one photocopy.

Can anyone help?

TIA

Gareth

2. Anglo Music Press

Anglo Music Press Well-Known Member

So far as I know, B&H handed all of their band 'archives' over to Studio Music to administer. It may be worth trying them, but they may also mean that even Studio don't have a copy

3. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Now that's an interesting situation. Permission is one thing but would the copy have to be endorsed by B&H (i.e., officially stamped to prove it is official)??? :confused:

4. GJG

GJG Well-Known Member

No, already tried Studio.

5. GJG

GJG Well-Known Member

Not so far as the person I spoke to in the copyright dept. at B&H was concerned.

6. Di

Di Active Member

We received written permission from Studio Music to transpose a solo written for a Bb instrument so it could be played on horn with piano. This written permission is kept with the music. I appreciate in the case of band parts, this may be more difficult, it would be easier to send it, along with the permission to the publisher for their official stamp. ;)

Edit : Sorry, I was a bit slow there. ;)

7. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

8. GJG

GJG Well-Known Member

Interesting discussion, however the gentleman I spoke to at B&H was quite clear in saying that they would give me permission - verbal or written (most likely in the form of an e-mail which I could print out and keep in the library) if I could find a copy.

So, the key question remains, does anyone have the piece in their library, and can I borrow it, please?

Thanks,

G.