Music Quotations.

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Thirteen Ball, Jan 10, 2006.

1. Thirteen Ball

Thirteen Ball Active Member

We've all got our personal favourites, in fact, a lot of us have them as signatures! I just thought it'd be fun to throw a few more around.

A selection of my favourites:

"If ya ain't got it in ya, ya can't blow it out!"
    Loius Armstrong

"A musicologist is a man who can read music but can't hear it."
    Thomas Beecham

"Wagner's music is better than it sounds."
    Bill Nye

"Too many pieces of music finish too long after the end."
    Igor Stravinsky

Any more for any more?
  2. DaveR

DaveR Active Member

Thomas Beecham had some great quotes:

Brass bands are all very well in their place - outdoors and several miles away. ;)

Great music is that which penetrates the ear with facility and leaves the memory with difficulty. Magical music never leaves the memory.

No operatic star has yet died soon enough for me.

Madam, you have between your legs an instrument capable of giving pleasure to thousands, and all you can do is scratch it!

The English may not like music, but they absolutely love the noise it makes.
  3. Steve

Steve Active Member

A conductor turned roud in a reheasal i was in and said dont worry about the Fsharp, its not like David Brents in the box and hes gonna be going <finest david brent impression> that weren't an fsharp, its wrong, you are clearly cheating, do you think that clever, or big, thought you could decieve me did you etc etc. I was almost in tears

Probsbly irrelevant to this thread but I thought I would share it lol
  4. "flamin flames" - Phillip McCann

"There's no 'I' in 'TEAM'" - Phillip McCann

"What kind of a scenario's this?" - Phillip McCann

"Jesus Wept!!" - Phillip McCann

"You're supposed to blow it, not suck it" - Phillip McCann

"Bacardi Breezie" - Phillip McCann
  5. "That's cool man.... but what about the music?!" - Jay The Hippie.
  6. Heppy

Heppy Member

Reply from a 'wobly' tuning note...

''Did you have jelly for breakfast?!'' - Phillip McCann

God bless that man
  7. Thirteen Ball

Having never played under McCann's Baton, or even laid eyes on him before outside of a concert hall, I attended the Huds Uni music school ball with my girlfriend who's studying there. McCann was there, walking around chatting to folk. As he passed me, he suddenly spun on his heel, pointed and demanded: "Tuba player! Right?"

I was a little :shock: :eek: :-? as he'd never seen me before, didn't know me from adam and for all he knew I could've never picked up a brass instrument in my life! So I nodded and managed to tell him I was a BB player.

"Ach. I can always tell!" The man responded, wagging his finger at me, before turning and striding off, leaving me thoroghly bemused.

8. The Cornet King

The Cornet King Active Member

I can always remember when Geoff Whitham used to take an old band of mine for a few rehearsals at contest time he used to come out with some hilarious one liners (unfortunately i can't remember them!)

Things like 'You've got a tongue like a leather apron'
  9. Steve

Steve Active Member

some of the ones at Raunds always had us biting our tongues.

"Thats flatter than a witches tit" and "I want it tighter than a nuns ....." were two of my particular favourites.

Pretty much every time McCann opens his mouth in rehearsal seems to be a quote worth remembering, god bless that man indeed.
  10. 2nd man down

2nd man down Moderator Staff Member

It's Jazz man. [Ploughboy]
  11. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

"that sounded like a dog farting through a letterbox"

- our MD commenting on a less than confident entry.
  12. 1alexm

1alexm Member

"its all under the fingers" - my conductor when ever someone says its too fast for them to play it.
  13. Cantonian

Cantonian Active Member

A previous bandmaster over the years had seveal classics including.

"Right everybody, P together"

When we were't following the beat, "Come on boys,get your nuts up"

How does this section go Bandmaster? Examines score and says" Bum,titty,bum, titty bum."

My worst as Songster(choir) leader was, after rehearsing soprano,alto, tenor and basses seperately, " could men and ladies now put their parts together"
  14. Thirteen Ball

Oh some of his were classics. He took us for a reheasal before blackpool 2 years ago and had us in hysterics.

Describing a BB mouthpiece as a 'Gob iron like a NAAFI teacup' started us off.

Somewhere in there we got 'smooth as a nudist's belly' as well

And after the 2nd horn player had missed a subito pp marking and came in Padstow lifeboat fashion we got 'Did somebody order a taxi?'

Too many to remember. Hilarious!
  15. Nigel Hall

Nigel Hall Supporting Member

I'm sure this is a Beecham quote (someone will no doubt correct me if I'm wrong) A Xylophone sounds like two skeletons copulating on a tin roof.

If it's not Beecham then it is certainly worthy of him.
  16. Thirteen Ball

I'm pretty sure it is.

I think another one commonly attributed to Beecham is

"Gentleman, we have been playing for two hours and we're still playing the same bl***y tune. It must be Wagner."

Who was it said Wagner had some wonderful musical moments but some awful hours? :dunno
  17. Nigel Hall

Nigel Hall Supporting Member

That would be Rossini
  18. persins

persins Member

John Camps - "You're rushing like a Bu**er" Normally to Euph section.
    John Packer sticker - "Don't just stand there... Blow it!"
  19. Anno Draconis

Anno Draconis Well-Known Member

It was Beecham but he was talking about the harpsichord
  20. McCann: "Nice hair"
    Jay The Hippie: "Nice shirt!"