music panel

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by sirbucko, Apr 3, 2009.

1. sirbucko

sirbucko Member

who ever chooses the pieces for the national finals this year, please can they have MUSIC in them. and not some new pieces that are just technical exercises and bore every one to death. lets get back to playing from the heart, we all love what we do, and most of us give up alot of time , and for nothing. bring back some soul to our pieces.
  2. SuperMosh

SuperMosh New Member

Er no thank you. Let's have some test pieces that 'test' a band. If you want to play melodic, sweet and soulful music then don't do contests. If you want to play innovative music that challenges around the stands, makes you want to improve and work hard in your hobby, contest.

Can I be cheeky and guess that you want something by Vinter or Ball? And your cousin's a butcher?
  3. Despot

Despot Member

I do agree, but just to play devil's advocate….

Ultimately a contest is exactly that…a contest! A sporting event if you prefer. The medium just happens to be music. It is a test which band is technically better, and to an extent which conductor can extract a "better" interpretation of the piece. Same as a solo grade exam. You might not like the pieces and scales on - for example - the Grade 8 cornet syallabus, but if you want your grade, that's what you have to do.

As someone said to me before "contests have nothing to do with music". A cynical remark, but is it really that removed from the truth?
  4. SuperMosh

SuperMosh New Member

Spot on.

And the Music Panel needs to reward this because.......?
  5. scotchgirl

scotchgirl Active Member

What is one person's 'music' is another's 'pile of c*ap'....its all subjective....
  6. lynchie

lynchie Active Member

Didn't we already have the "I don't like it, so it's not music" rant thread for this year? It was boring then too.
  7. Aidan

Aidan Active Member

we're all aspiring musicians, not technicians.
    Test pieces that test musicians aswell as arban dodgers are always appreciated.
  8. scotchgirl

scotchgirl Active Member

Appreciated by who? like I say, some people like one type of music..some like others.....get used to it!
  9. Aidan

Aidan Active Member

the people that have to play them.

is it a crime to appease both of the groups you mentioned in the same piece?
  10. Bones

Bones Member

As a self confessed arban dodger, (why do you think I went on the trombone) I think 3 of the best test pieces that we have had of recent years are Music for Battle Creek, Rococo Variations and Vienna Nights.

Cracking pieces all of them, with something for everyone.

I personally have not enjoyed Salute to Youth or Festival Music, nor am I looking forward to Contest Music. Time and place, and they certainly are test pieces, no decrying their strenghts, but for me, dreadful choices.

But as Scotch Girl says, it is subjective, for example, I really enjoyed Prague as well. Mind you I will have red wine with fish if the mood takes me.
  11. Anno Draconis

Anno Draconis Well-Known Member

You'll be telling us next you like marmite
  12. scotchgirl

scotchgirl Active Member

I also loved playing Prague - top piece! I think I may have been one of the only ones in my band though lol!
  13. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

Bet your bass trombonist did too!
  14. iancwilx

iancwilx Active Member

Quite - exactly so.
    We should appreciate that tastes differ and if a certain type of music doesn't appeal to us it isn't necessarily rubbish, it just doesn't appeal to us as an individual, and if that same piece does appeal to another guy, it doesn't label him/her a musical peasant.
    If we all gain pleasure from some or other style of music, then that is just fine, and one guys taste is no better than the other guys, just different.
    Musical elitism "Sucks".

- Wilkie (From Brahms to Beiderbeck inclusive)

- wilkie
  15. Bones

Bones Member

Absolutely love the stuff
  16. Bones

Bones Member

Agreed, in my post I did say I didnt care for the likes of Salute to Youth, not to say it is not an intelligent piece of writing but for me as an individual it didnt float my boat so to speak.
  17. scotchgirl

scotchgirl Active Member

marmite!! bleuuurrrgghhhh! :)
  18. Jack Stout

Jack Stout Member

This thread just confirms that brass bands get what they desreve. There is tons of music out there which both challenging, contemporary and musical. Get out there and attend some orchestral concerts. Contemporary does not have to mean C**p. Yes, you'll never keep everybody happy but as much as there IS great composition there is BAD composition.

Brass bands are a great institution and fun to play in but when it comes to their place in the wider musical world they are a joke.

Bandsmen in general will always want their 'brass band' composers and the outside world just doesn't come into it. The music panel are representatives of this culture. I doubt Alan Hope has ever attended a non brass band music festival and I doubt he ever will.

Enjoy contesting for what it is, sport not music.
  19. xRinat

xRinat Member

Test pieces are suppose to be technical. Test pieces are to TEST brass bands.
    If a brass band cant handle the test piece in 1 division, they go down to 2 division and so on.
    Test pieces are suppose to be based on the division of the brass band.
  20. HBB

HBB Active Member

I think you'll find that some of the most testing music out there is slow and non-technical...