Music Pads

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by alanl58, Oct 21, 2004.

1. alanl58

alanl58 Member

Following the Boscastle floods in August we found that five individual instrument pads had been destroyed. The Band felt that maybe the time had come to replace all of the pads, and were quoted about £10 each.

Sadly when we asked for a more firm quotation we found that the cost had more than doubled, making the pads prohibitively expensive. So we will investigate other formats to see if there is a cheaper alternative.

What format does your band use to retain it's music in some semblance of order? Do you have individual instrument pads, or just generic ones? Where do you obtain them from?

I hope that someone can help.

Alan Lafferty
    Band Secretary
    St Gennys Silver Band

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Band
    Boscastle
    all
    pads
    Alan Lafferty Band
  3. tubafran

tubafran Active Member

Folders

We just use standard foolscap office folders with 4 ring clips and separate plastic pockets. They hold up to 40 pieces quite easily and keeps the music in reasonable condition. A part from the baritones of course, why is it always the baritones who can't keep the music in order? Or is that just our band? :-(

4. Lotta

Lotta Member

We use black plastic presentation folders and they contain about 25 clear wallets... .so they have the compassity to hold up to 50 pieces of music. We have had the current lot for nearly 2 years and only had to replace a few.

The only draw back is that they dont have the band name on..... I just printed the band name on our to fit in the spine of the folder.

They cost between £6-7 and we bought them from Staples I think!

Hope this helps

5. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

A Above ^^^:-D

6. Lotta

Lotta Member

must be a midlands thing then!!!

7. brasscrest

brasscrest Active Member

We use standard 3-ring binders. Most of the music can be punched, if it can't without losing something, then we use a clear plastic insert. The binders have pockets inside the covers for things that don't fit in the plastic inserts.

8. backrowbloke

backrowbloke Member

We just replaced ours with some from Staples - take a look-see here

They are black plastic, 13 pockets with A-Z index for those that cant properly file music ;) Retaila at around £3.50 each.
    Band name was easily accomplished by colour printing some stips that inset into the spine - have band logo and instument on them.

Cheap but pretty durable solution, and look smarter than previous pads. At <£4 each, pretty cheap to replace in future
    BRB

9. TuTuKu

TuTuKu Active Member

We just use standard ringbinders, here, with plastic wallets to hold the music.

Does the job & are cheap! Aslong as they're not trodden on, they last for years!!

& we have one per player

10. HBB

HBB Active Member

Nope!! It's the basses in our band!

11. imthemaddude

imthemaddude Active Member

As im librarian - im yet to find a decent way of getting everyone to have their music organised and in a wa that suits everyone - librarian reallyis a NIGHTMARE job! I have a folder with dividers in with the alphabet on but generally the band have normal folders of the paper variety with a flap. The library has music in brown evelopes.

Sorry to hear what happened to your folders.

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Band
    Boscastle
    all
    pads
    Alan Lafferty Band
  13. katej

katej Member

a few of us in wellington decided to buy those 13 pocket jobs, mine cost £1.97 i think from Tesco's! Plain white though it does keep the music tidy.
    Kate

14. katej

katej Member

although the ones backrowblokes band have bought are fancier than ours!
    kate

15. mikelyons

mikelyons Supporting Member

We just use ordinary card wallets for rehearsals and posh leatherette folders for concerts.

In defence of basses filing, I generally use a LIFO stack principal, which worked a hell of a lot more quickly than my ex partner's alpha order when stuff was needed in a hurry. ;)

16. Di

Di Active Member

We use the expanding a - z organisers.

17. RonBarnes

RonBarnes Member

I prefer the open A-Z pocket folders. Provided you put the music back in its proper place it's easy to keep in order and it's cheap. I had the bright idea of using polythene sleeves for a while, but that didn't work very well. Double sheets had to be taken out anyway, and single sheets left in the sleeves were impossible to read because of the reflective glare. The hard backed folders which my band issues weigh a ton and are not very popular. So keep it simple - £1.95 from WHSmiths!

18. alanl58

alanl58 Member

Well thanks for all the simple, and cheap, solutions so far.

My other band (Bude Metric Brass) use 4-ring binders, and this works ok, except for the glare problem. Then there are double size inserts (A3) available from Viking Direct for the doulbe page pieces, and double strength inserts for those SA hymn tune books. Very commendable, and not very costly either.

But does no-one have dedicated pads anymore?

I guess our individual instrument pads are unique, perhaps I should collect them all in and send them to a museum?

BTW it is the Bass Trombone (ists) IMHO who cannot find their music, and thus have not filed it properly....and our Librarian languishes over how to handle titles such as "The Irish Blessing" or "Irish Blessing, The", it makes all the difference when you are scrabbling around to find and play the next piece!

What do you do: "The" first, or name first then "The" ?

alan lafferty
    St Gennys Silver Band
    Bude Metric Brass

19. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

When I played with Coventry Festival Band all the pieces were numbered, with an index held by the librarian, so it was just a question of keeping them in numerical order. Equally, it used to be easy with SA music, simply keeping everything in numerical order in the pads, but it is not so straightforward now, with music coming from various sources.

Our folders are simply open with a pocket each side. We have a good librarian who ensures there is never too much music in the pads at any one time. If we have a particular event coming up, then that programme with be in one side, with any other music the other side, and I usually try to keep mine in numerical order as far as possible. With the programme, if we have a running order then the music is kept in order from the outset to save any problems.

When we went to Holland we adopted a numbering system, particularly as several of the programmes had to be changed at the last minute. Unfortunately, whatever system you adopt there will always be some who will manage to get music muddled up and lost, although I do have a lot of sympathy for percussionists who may have several copies for each piece, and a couple of folders to boot.

20. tubafran

tubafran Active Member

Oh that's my real pet hate, filing by "The..." - thats about 50% of the music under T and then you still have to sub-divide by the real title name. What about the more usual filing system of:

a) size, marches at the front, A3s at the back
    b) age, all the yellow flimsy stuff kept separated from the white modern music
    c) muisic I like and music I don't
    d) music we can play and music we can't.

Just so many different ways of doing it they can't all be wrong though ;)

21. ComputerBloke

ComputerBloke Member

We use the old style pads, I think we got a job lot cheap from another band that was getting shot some years back.

I think if you are taking pads onto the stage, they need to look cool.

I'm not so sure about putting holes in the music though.
    Music is expensive enough without vandalising it.

My other pet hate, people writing on music with pens and biros...but that's another story..

22. Raspberry

Raspberry Member

We use the expanding A to Z folders - very useful for helping to get music in order. Unfortunately one of our Horn players is not well organised and we end up waiting for that player to find the music!!!

When we do concerts, we are given a list of the programme in advance and we then transfer the pieces we are playing into plastic ringbinder with clear plastic pockets so that the music is in order and ready to play. (It's good for playing outside so if the weather is a bit dodgy, the music is protected!)