Music pad, whose responsible?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by stevetrom, Jul 18, 2010.

1. stevetrom

stevetrom Well-Known Member

What do other bands do with music pads?

With us, generally, each player keeps there own pad of music.

We had an incident yesterday when a player, who shall remain nameless, was unable to do a job, a dep was found, and turned up in plenty of time (thank you). Unfortunately James (oops) still had his music so the dep was not able to play the part required.

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Music pad
    pad
    incident
    music
    plenty
  3. Nuke

Nuke Active Member

I do keep my pad, hopefully it gives the impression that i'm practising lol. But when i'm not there I always leave it at band so that someone else can use it.
    I'm sure the respective player you are talking about that kept their pad will be embarassed enough for them to leave it in future.

4. GJG

GJG Well-Known Member

Our "official" policy is that pads must not be removed from the bandhall. Sometimes a blind eye is turned with regular members who are virtually 100% attenders, and can be trusted to make sure their pad is left on the odd occasions they are absent. Otherwise, if individuals wish to take certain pieces for personal practice, then the librarian will arrange for a copy to be made (legitimately, of course, under the terms of "fair use"). Occasionally it goes wrong, but not generally.

5. winterman

winterman Member

We work on the basis that players DO take their pads home for home practice.

Whenever a player is going to be away we ensure they leave their pad at the last concert/rehearsal they are at.. If not someone will ensure it is collected from the player at the earliest possible opportunity.

6. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

Very similar to Mic. We each take our own pads with us to practice. If you are going to miss a gig, you need to get it to somebody else in your section or a dep directly.

7. Laserbeam bass

Laserbeam bass Active Member

It should be the librarians responsibility to ensure that my pad is in order and at the right place, at the right time.

Everyone is repsonisble for their pad from the moment they take on the position. If they are not going to be at a job, then the person repsonsible for booking the jobs, and the person responsible for deps, should ensure that the pad is available.

If the problem occurred at short notice, then the player should have arranged to either deposit or arranged for the pad to be picked up.

8. Kjata

Kjata Member

Unfortunately (as everyone who knows me will tell you!) i'm responsible for my pad......

9. Crazysop

Crazysop Member

My pad= my responsibility

We are all supposed to leave our pads in the bandroom, but I take mine home to practice. We have had a few blunders in the past with people missing jobs and having their pads with them but similarly have also had pads vanish out of the band room. My hymn book always vanishes if I leave my pad. Must be a ghost!

10. Coverhead

Coverhead Member

...you could have fooled me!
    When was the last time you actually took it home? ;)

11. tubafran

tubafran Active Member

Two bands two systems

KSB - pads left at band room, copies provided for home practise only. For jobs separate pastic wallets with programme in order taken to job ensures all music for deps as well is there

Dronfield - each player has own pad and responsible for taking to concert etc. Players missing job leave pad with librarian to take for deps

I think system one is preferrable as guarantees never missing music at a job unless I forget to take it all.

System 2 is more reliant on players notifying deputy requirements and remembering when to leave their pad.

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Music pad
    pad
    incident
    music
    plenty
  13. StellaJohnson

StellaJohnson Active Member

2 pads,

one practice pad, which you practice the music in it at rehearsals
    other is concert pad

14. astreet83

astreet83 Member

My pad so 2nd mans job to make sure its there at practises and jobs.... just kidding.

Does anyone else file there parts under "M" for music??

15. euphojim

euphojim Member

Can Gareth or someone else please explain "fair use" for me because I am always a bit wary about using photocopied parts.

Our policy is that the pads can be taken for home practice but must be left in the bandroom if the player is going to be missing a job. In the case of shared pads they must be at every rehearsal. Those are the rules but it doesn't always work like that.

16. The Wherryman

The Wherryman Active Member

There is some light reading for you here (and that doesn't cover every eventuality!!!)

17. GJG

GJG Well-Known Member

Not easily. Part of the problem with "Fair use" (or "fair dealing" as it is more commonly referred to in the UK - Fair Use is a term more specific to US copyright law) is that it is open to a degree of interpretation. Nothing is really "Black And White".

[Usual disclaimers WRT me not being a lawyer, etc. etc, apply ... ]

It would be worth reading this: http://www.mpaonline.org.uk/Publications/The_Code_of_Fair_Practice_in_Full.html

After that you have to make your own decision ...

18. GJG

GJG Well-Known Member

Also this one: http://www.copyrightservice.co.uk/copyright/p01_uk_copyright_law

Interesting that "Producing a back up copy for personal use of a computer program" is specifically allowed. In my mind "Producing a practice copy of a musical work (for personal use) in order to safeguard the original against loss or damage" would constitute a "back-up", and would thus be a direct equivalent.

But as I said before, it's a matter of interpretation ... The question is, in the event that a Publisher decided to take you to court for copyright infringement, would you feel confident arguing it as a defense?

19. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

As I understand it, there is no 'fair use' applied to music (I haven't read those articles yet if they contradict what I've just said). This is based on a conversation I had a few years ago with someone who knew a lot more about copyright than most, and as far as he was concerned any photocopied music was illegal - regardless of the copy's intended use.

That said, there are plenty of people here who have actual experience in this field. I'm sure one of them will add their more expert opinion in due course.

As for the original question, I can't think of a better way to stop people practicing their parts than stopping them taking their pads out of the bandroom. Personally I believe that people are responsible enough (well, most people!!) to know that they should leave their pads if they are not there for whatever reason, and it just takes a gentle reminder every now and then to make sure that happens.

20. tubafran

tubafran Active Member

Isn't amazing how many people have very strong views on this? I have been told on numerous occasions that you CAN copy music for private use. To tell you the truth I have no idea whether you are allowed to or not.

I think on the one hand bands people adopt a "common sense" approach to the "copying" of music, in effect to protect the original - stuff happens, we play outdoors it starts to rain, the band plays on because the audience are prepared to listen under brollies and coats - the music get destroyed. Wouldnt it have been far more sensible for them to have put at risk a "copy" than the original?

A player's car gets broken into and say 30 to 40 soprano parts are missing - cost to replace all the music by buying a full set £1200! try claiming that on your car insurance.

21. euphojim

euphojim Member

Thanks to both Geoff and Gareth - that was very helpful.

22. tubafran

tubafran Active Member

The title of the first document referred to above is The Code of Fair Practice and has the rather excellent common sense preamble

"However, creators and publishers recognise that photocopying machines do serve a very valuable purpose in many circumstances provided that their use is not abused and they accept that a literal and strict interpretation of the law will not always produce a result which is reasonable or appeals to common sense. This document attempts to introduce reasonableness into the present-day situation, while appealing to the goodwill and understanding traditionally shown by the vast majority of music users. Of those who offend, it is thought that most do so because they have not stopped to think about the matter"

I got lost about halfway down when it started referring to a " "quarter set" is defined as a quarter of the total number of parts in the publisher’s standard set. In this instance it is the number of parts and not the number of pages which is the criterion.

that would mean you could "copy" 7 parts only of a normal brass band set