Music Notation Software

Discussion in 'Computer Corner' started by SamHayday, Jun 22, 2007.

1. SamHayday

SamHayday Member

Hey, all!

I've been looking around for quite a while but I havn't found any good yet affordable music notation software... has anyone got any suggestions? :D

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    :D
    affordable music notation software
    havn't
    suggestions
  3. James Yelland

James Yelland Active Member

Take a look at this:

http://www.braeburn.co.uk/mp.htm

I find it to be very user friendly and the tutorials are very informal. And it's British.

4. SamHayday

SamHayday Member

Thanks I'll have a look at it but it looks good :tup

5. SamHayday

SamHayday Member

Hmmph... that's weird... it keeps on freezing on me.

6. David Mann

David Mann Member

I use PrintMusic! by Finale, does 95% of what I want to do, good brass band templates and MIDI input.

7. winterman

winterman Member

8. SamHayday

SamHayday Member

Yeah I have the trial of Noteworthy and I dont seem to like it... its not the capabilities or anything, I just don't like the interface.

9. RonBarnes

RonBarnes Member

10. jmh3412

jmh3412 Member

Sibelius......................................... (particularly student/teacher versions)

11. mikelyons

mikelyons Supporting Member

Except the student version isn't worth diddly! Most of the most useful features are missing.

Go for the educational version. If you are in school or college you can get it much cheaper and still have all the functionality.

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    :D
    affordable music notation software
    havn't
    suggestions
  13. SamHayday

SamHayday Member

Ok...

I've just been on the Sibelius website and there were four notation products:

Sibelius 5 Professional
    Sibelius Student
    G7
    Photoscore Ultimate

Sibelius 5 costs £595 so let's forget about that for now, Student looks only slightly better than Finale Notepad which is free to download, G7 is for guitarists and Photoscore is for scanning music.

But, as Sibelius 5 is all new, I'm assuming the Sibelius 1-4 are cheaper but I can't find them on their website. (Looks confused)

14. SamHayday

SamHayday Member

Ahhhhh!

I just looked at the videos of Sib 5 on their site and it looks so good I think I might cry! I'm gonna have to find £500 behind the sofa.

15. mikelyons

mikelyons Supporting Member

If you go for the educational (not student) version, you can get it for about 300, rather than 500. There should be a link on the site to educational pricing. I would have put a link, but the Sibelius site seems to be down at the moment.

16. tootnbuzz

tootnbuzz Member

Sibelius is the real thing. Don't be fooled by imitators!!

17. SamHayday

SamHayday Member

18. SamHayday

SamHayday Member

Oh right it says US orders only ... nm

19. SamHayday

SamHayday Member

20. SamHayday

SamHayday Member

Yh I know ... that's what I said.

21. Thirteen Ball

Thirteen Ball Active Member

I've never used sib5, but work off Sib3 at the moment, and that does pretty well everything I need. Very user friendly once sussed too.

You can probably pick up an older version of sibelius for a few pennies if you look in the right place. Mine was £20 and a pint of beer to a mate who'd just upgraded to sib4.