Music Minus One - Maynard Ferguson

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by waynefiler, Jan 22, 2008.

1. waynefiler

waynefiler Member

Has anyone out in Tmpland got the Music Minus One Maynard Ferguson edition?

I've been looking at it and want to know what people think of it.

Ta

Wayne

2. Shaggy

Shaggy New Member

Ah! good to see a fellow jazz fan on the TMP.

My favourite Miles Davis quote is when he was in conversation with John Coltrane and Trane was telling Davis he was worried about how long his solos had become on recent gigs and di Miles have any advice for him? to wich Davis replied........."Yeah man, take the goddam horn out of your mouth"

3. andywooler

andywooler Supporting Member

There's a few of us out here!
    I have Maynards last album in the car at the moment alongside a couple of Wayne Bergeron discs - also appearing on the final Maynard sessions. What a player he is too.
    There is no doubt in my mind that MF probably had more influence on the way a lot of us play the trumpet these days than anyone else - all Maynard music is sadly "minus 1" from now on.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2008
  4. floppymute

floppymute Member

Did you mean 'Music Minus Maynard' published by Hal Leonard?
    I bought this a few years ago - when I first saw it I thought it looked OK and would be good to have a go at, the range wasn't as high as I would have expected. It was only when I got it home and realised almost all of it is marked '8ve..............' (above of course)!!!!!!!!!
    Tight underpants time!

5. Vegasbound

Vegasbound Active Member

And did they work ??? or do you know wear a surgical truss!!!

6. floppymute

floppymute Member

Surgical truss with what seems to be a built-in chastity belt!:oops: They don't call him 'Strain 'ard' for nothing

7. Shaggy

Shaggy New Member

I had the pleasure of seeing him perform in Derby some years ago with his jazz orchestra, a cracking show!

8. Shaggy

Shaggy New Member

I heard an interview with the late Oscar Peterson recently and he was talking about his early days at school, and he was saying that he started on Trumpet but got dissillusioned because there was already a really good Trumpeter at school so he switched to piano.

The interviewer said something like " well I wonder what happened to that Trumpet player?" and Peterson replied "oh he did ok in the end, his name was Maynard Ferguson"!

9. Vegasbound

Vegasbound Active Member

I got to see him at Ronnie scott's with the Big Bop noveau band... having just missed him in seattle....I had done a show with Mel Torme and Maynard and his band arrived the day we left....I was gutted!!

10. Shaggy

Shaggy New Member

Oh blimey! so you worked with "the velvet fog"! very impressive indeed! I love Mel Torme.

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Maynard Ferguson
    Music Minus One
    anyone
    edition
    Wayne