Music Libraries

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by DocFox, Apr 2, 2017.

1. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

Reading back those old threads, I more and more miss the general good spirit of bonhomie that existed here all those years ago...

Peace 'n' love 'n' goodwill to all 'n' all that...

2. DocFox

DocFox Retired

Euphman2, you are back. I asked a simple question (yes there are differences in English around the world), and suddenly I was unhuman. That is very dangerous talk as I pointed out. I did not understand you, and you called me a name. That is not "taking umbrage at random." Instead of saying you will never talk to me - which is acting like a little kid saying I do not like your game so I am taking my ball and going home -- you could have politely explained. Clearly, there was a question mark in my response which was asking for clarification, not to be called at name instead. You are not innocent as you make out to be.

I apologize if I misunderstood you. You could have explained it to me. If I use some phrase from American English that sounds funny, just ask, I will be glad to explain. For example, I looked in both an American and a British dictionary and I have no idea what "pram" mean in the context it was used above.

I cannot imagine that "Concerto de Arnajuez" is not legal. The family probably took the money. There are various arrangements (which have to be approved) and royalties from Brassed Off. Without permission, it would be easy to legally get it stopped.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2017
  3. Tom-King

Tom-King Well-Known Member

Doc-

A "pram" is a quite old-fashioned term for a babies pushchair - the phrase "throwing toys out of the pram" is a reference to childish tantrums.
    This may be a particularly British turn of phrase.

As far as I'm aware, the most commonly used arrangement (Kevin Bolton's one) is unauthorised and unpublished - I can't imagine that it's legal, but the vast majority of bands have a copy (of a copy of a copy, usually)

4. DocFox

DocFox Retired

How is it recorded so often? You would think the copyright holder would have a fit. I guess the family could have done what the Sousa heirs did -- they simply gave up all rights to the marches and put them in the public domain. In the US, the public domain due to the Sonny Bono Copyright Term Extension Act of 1998, is much more draconian than most other countries. They just figured John Phillip would want it that way.

5. 4th Cornet

4th Cornet Active Member

Have you 2 just fallen out over what seems like a simple misunderstanding of terminology? 'a band I had links to' seems to have been innocently (mis)understood as meaning the music was linked to electronically. I can see how the misunderstanding was made so it's so unfortunate that it ended this way.

6. DocFox

DocFox Retired

Oh, we have a history. Euphman2 knows I hate being called names. I stand up to bullies. Noticed he called me a name and everyone supported him. Very strange. I take a lot of abuse, for everything from being an American to having a doctorate. The bullies have killed the nice conversation on this board. I have several hundred posts, it is only the last 100 or so that I have been attacked. People used to ask me polite questions, and like you Tom-King, gave polite answers.

Some of the bullies are now gone. If this board is going to go back to its former glory, no name calling should be tolerated. Then no responses would be necessary. But I will NOT back down. "Unhuman" is strong language. It might seem benign, but Hitler thought that too. If I am unhuman, I can go up and be an angel, or be less than a human which promotes hate. I stood up against hate and people supported Euphman2 and his hate language.

Some may think my reference to Hitler was hateful, but is was not. It was factual. This type of thing is not a sample of a tantrum. It is standing my ground to be recognized as a person with value. Do I not have value? Euphman2 says I am not human a by implication cannot have value.

I have a lot of musical knowledge I share freely. But I am remembered for standing up to bullies.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2017
  7. Tom-King

Could it just be that you're too sensitive to things?
    I'm not saying you necessarily are, but if you take yourself too seriously and take things intended as jokes as slights on you personally, it's only a matter of time before the next argument or falling out.... yeah I've been there and I'm sure I'm not the only one on here that has.

There's a difference between bullies, blatent trolls and jovial name-calling - some intend to cause harm, some intend to wind you up and some just want to have a bit of fun... when this board was in its heydey, there was plenty of harmless namecalling and other fun that was rarely taken the wrong way (many of us knew each other in person back then, moreso than now)... I don't think banning all namecalling would do anything to assist this forum in returning to its former glory, if that's even possible.

The reference to Hitler in any internet discussion shows that all perspective (and thus the argument) has been lost - it's a good way to make sure noone takes the rest of your post seriously.

What we are remembered for and what we'd like to be remembered for are often different things... what may feel like "standing up to bullies" might not be seen by others that way.

mikelyons and Accidental like this.
  8. DocFox

DocFox Retired

That has been said. My reply is, why can I not be myself? Sensitive is a judgment call. You noticed I did apologize for my misunderstanding with Euphman2. I would like to be treated the same way. And I really do believe this board can grow again. But not with disrespect as its base.

Interesting opinion. Facts are facts. If nothing else, we need to learn from the horrors of WW2. I was not alive then, but I am ashamed my country got into the war so late. I politely disagree with you. We should be reminded often of the small things that led to big things in Berlin in the 30s and 40's as to never repeat them. Honestly, unless you like fiction, who cares much about Orwell?

I cannot control what other people think. But if the PMs I have received are any indication, I sometimes get great support and sometimes told I am too sensitive. People have seen me as a person who stands up to bullies. Others -- they think what they want unless they care to express it.

That is probably my real problem on this board. I do not have the "British Stiff Upper Lip" about things. I express myself. I am an American. But I am expected to act British. Expressing myself is often mistaken for being too sensitive. This board is for Brass Banding. I do not see that it is for British Brass Banding. So why shouldn't an expressive American be allowed to have his say in his way? I do not pretend to have a stiff upper lip.

9. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

Apologies if I have missed something in the reference, but I am sure the term used was 'a non-person', and not 'unhuman'. These two phrases are radically different, the first not denying any aspect of humanity, but indicating that the writer intends to ignore what the 'non-person' has to say.

Slider1, 2nd tenor and Tom-King like this.
  10. 2nd tenor

2nd tenor Well-Known Member

Yes, things have moved on from say ten years ago. I joined the forum a few years back and in part that was because of the quality of some of those old posts. However, IMHO, the forum has seen worse days too and is now a friendlier place than it was just before the change in site owner. Good times could well be ahead.

Tom King has made some very good points to the Doc which I hope he will hear and act on. Besides the Doc I can think of four Americans who have used this forum in say the last month and to my knowledge none of them have had any 'problems' whatsoever ........

TBH there seems to be loads of good folk out there who enjoy this forum and just want to get on with everyone else - and are determined that by one means or another they will do so too.

11. GJG

GJG Well-Known Member

Personally, I just wish that people would stop referring to "American English"; there's really no such thing. The language is "English"; you either use it correctly, or you don't. So far as I can see, "American English" is just a concept invented by Microsoft to cover up the fact that they were employing software developers who couldn't spell ...

[ *** TONGUE-IN-CHEEK ALERT! *** TONGUE-IN-CHEEK ALERT! *** TONGUE-IN-CHEEK ALERT! *** ]

12. DocFox

DocFox Retired

Peter,

With all respect. I did apologize so I would like this to go away. But go back and look. He called me unhuman. That has strong connotations!

Several Americans post rarely. Mostly about NABBA and leave. Not all. I have probably near a thousand posts. I participate much more. If they participated like I do, I think some of the results would be the same. Of course, we are all individuals. No other American is a sponsor, that I know. 2t, you are a wonderful person and I hate to disagree with you on any subject -- but I felt that had to be cleared up.

I have to act British or like other Americans. Is anyone going to give me permission to act as myself?

13. Mesmerist

Mesmerist Well-Known Member

Time to ask
    Independent Silver Band
    to don his superman pants and come to the rescue here. I don't think I've ever seen him lose his cool with anyone either here or FB.

2nd tenor likes this.
  14. Tom-King

I'm not sure there's much more to say, Jim...

We neither control others behaviour or their perceptions - only the way we ourselves behave.
    Apologising is the right thing to do when in the wrong, and so it should be done... whether others want to do so when they should or not is up to them.

I find trivialising the horrors of the 30's and 40's by drawing parallels in the present with the slightest of provocations distasteful in the extreme - I could call it slippery-slope arguments, I could call it crying wolf... needless to say, we don't agree here.

15. DocFox

DocFox Retired

Colour, Color, Practice, Practise, Honor, Honour, and so forth. Like golly dude, don't you get, like, how we Americans, hmm, well talk. Well, we don't really talk my man, we text on our cell phones and make fun, like all the time man, of people in the UK who call their phones mobile phones. Is that their home phone with a very long chord? Isn't that rich dude? I mean gosh, they don't work without cell towers don't they understand that? I mean really, all the time, so serious with that British upper lip thing. Man, they are not groovy at all. And those brass bands -- whats up with that? Did they forget half the band - I mean really dude it is screwy beyond belief. And they talk so funny - ya know, Queen's English and all. And they do not even get to vote for the King and Queen. What kind of system is that, dude? Not very righteous. Sounds kind of bogus to me.

:):):):):):D:Do_O

16. Mesmerist

Godwin's law anyone?

Accidental likes this.
  17. DocFox

DocFox Retired

It is OK. You expressed your opinion clearly, and I respect that, and I will think about it. Disagreeing politely is a good thing.

18. DocFox

DocFox Retired

For those who are not familiar. From Wikipedia.

"Goodwin's Law is an Internet adage which asserts that "As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Hitler approaches ‍—‌that is, if an online discussion (regardless of topic or scope) goes on long enough, sooner or later someone will compare someone or something to Hitler.

Promulgated by American attorney and author Mike Godwin in 1990,[2] Godwin's law originally referred specifically to Usenet newsgroup discussions. It is now applied to any threaded online discussion, such as Internet forums, chat rooms, and comment threads, as well as to speeches, articles, and other rhetoric where reductio ad Hitlerum occurs.

In 2012, "Godwin's law" became an entry in the third edition of the Oxford English Dictionary.
    "

I am guilty as charged for the most part. I did it very early in the thread which does not quite fit the definition.

But again, I apologized. It seems I am unhuman. I do not get enough respect to be treated as I treat others. I hope I am a big enough person to admit my mistakes.

19. Mesmerist

Not to worry Doc. I'm sure most of us would be happy to share a brew with you. :)

20. DocFox

DocFox Retired

Send it airmail :). I have not had a beer in 20 years and it is something I miss. Some will not believe this, I have never been drunk (an alcoholic father who beats you has a strong influence). But I would have a pint every so often. I have been on a medication (a life important one) that does not allow me to drink. :(:(

Maybe we should stick to darts.