Music including bugles

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by David Mann, Aug 14, 2010.

1. David Mann

David Mann Member

We have a French harmonie visiting us next year and they have a couple of bugle players. When we were over there last year we did Marche Lorraine with both bands + bugles, which worked pretty well. Apart from the obvious Nighfall In Camp, are there other things we could try? The bugles are in Bb.
  2. Anno Draconis

Anno Draconis Well-Known Member

Gareth's Pritchard's arrangement of Semper Fidelis has a section where the cornets have to play "in the style of bugles". As far as I remember this is in F, not sure what a bugle is in normally?
  3. MartinT

MartinT Member

I think High on a Hill is in the right key, isn't it? Could provide a pleasing contrast with the cornet tone, in those phrases which bugles can play.
  4. tubadaz

tubadaz Member

Bugles are generally in Bb (I say generally, as US Army bugles are in G!) :D

"High on a Hill" works, I've seen it performed on bugles. Another one is "March du Sambre et Meuse" (I think that's right!) which I think is in the correct key (but I stand to be corrected!)
    A lot of Light Infantry marches are also playable with bugles, I think "Mechanised Infantry" and "Jalalabad" are playable with bugle parts as well. (In fact, I'm almost certain "Mech Inf" comes with bugle parts!)

Hope this helps,

(Former Scout Band Bugle Instructor!) :D
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2010
  5. Frontman

Frontman Member

Keith Lever has written Meditation on St Clements which has a section for Bb bugles.
    It is an excellent piece, there is also Sunset and Evening Hymn, you want to ask if Keith has that.

By the way Keith is a member of Tmp.
  6. David Mann

David Mann Member

Thaks, he's a Facebook friend, I'll send him a message.
  7. Andrew Norman

Andrew Norman Member

I have an arrangement of Over the Hills and Far Away which includes bugles - if you're interested email me and I can send a score and Mp3.
  8. Bass Trumpet

Bass Trumpet Active Member

Sorry for being flippant, but my screen is playing up and I first read this as "Music including bulges" :oops:

I can think of plenty!

Back on topic, a lot of modern arrangements often come with 'World' parts including bugles (and bulges!)
  9. Keith Stanley James Lever

Keith Stanley James Lever Supporting Member

Bugle marches

Here are a "few" BUGLE MARCHES that I have transcribed for brass band :

Blazon Bugles (Syd Rose)
    The Commando Prince (Ken Wharton-Emms)
    Duke Of Yorks Command (Walter Adams)
    Per Mare Per Terram (Syd Rose)
    Silver Bugles (Paul Neville)
    Silver Jubilee (Victor Sylvester)
    Soldier An' Sailor Too (Alan Piner & Michael McDermott)

Bugle Fanfares Include :

Crowned Laurel (Tony Angrove)
    For A Princess (John Perkins)
    Pride Of Windsor (John Perkins)

Remembrance Parades :

Evening Prelude (Paul Neville)
    Prelude And Sunset (Michael McDermott)

All, at one time or another, have been recorded by The Bands of Her Majesty's Royal Marines.

10. PlayerPete

PlayerPete Member

I bought a march afew years ago - I'm sure it had bugle parts included. I'm not sure of the title - Mechanised Infantry - I think!!
  11. boagy

boagy Member

100% correct 'Mechanised Infantry' is the regimental march of The Rifles and IS available in a brass band arrangement available from Studio Music if memory serves.... Bugle parts in Bb for this although as already mentioned in other posts you can get Bugle parts in G although those seem to be for American bands and some European 'Harmonie' bands I will stand corrected though....:oops:

Remember 'Mech' is normally played at 140+ bpm which is fine sat down but a tad of a chalenge marching to, I know I did it for a while lol :wink: