Music from cartoons

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by hellraiser, Mar 27, 2006.

1. hellraiser

hellraiser Member

I've recently realised that many of the classical pieces I like were featured in cartoons I watched as a kid.

I like Rossini's Barber of Seville, Hungarian Rhapsody no.5, William Tell overture... to name but a few.

These pieces were featured on Bugs Bunny and Tom & Jerry cartoons I used to watch as a kid. Coincidence? Or is there something in this?
  2. Baritonedeaf

Baritonedeaf Member

Wagners "Rienzi Overture" was the theme tune to an audio tape reading of the Journey to the Centre of the Earth that i had as a kid - no suprise that my favourite composer is Wagner... It may even be why i took up a brass instrument too!
  3. brasscrest

brasscrest Active Member

Cartoon makers often used classical music for a couple of reasons. First, composers such as Wagner wrote dramatic, programmatic music that was easy to set action. Also, as most cartoon operations were low-budget and needed to keep their funds available for producing art work, it was easier to use classical music, most of which was out of copyright, instead of paying someone to produce new music.

Slightly off-topic - the theme for the Warner Brothers cartoon series "Animaniacs" was composed by Bruce Broughton.
  4. FlugelD

FlugelD Member

Ki-ill the wabbit, ki-ill the wabbit....

:D :clap:
  5. James Yelland

James Yelland Active Member

Listen to the music which accompanies the original Tom & Jerry cartoons, you will notice a distinct Stravinskian air to it (cf. Petrushka). The composer (I forget his name - Scott someone?) was heavily influenced by the composers of the age (as you would expect), including Stravinsky who lived in America at around the same time.
  6. FlugelD

FlugelD Member

Scott Bradley - brief biog. at

(The first video I ever got was 'Toms and Jerry's 50th Birthday Classics' :D )

I also remember reading somewhere that, during the day, MGM and Warners (the two great 'short' cartoon studios) each employed roughly half of the LA Phil - save rehearsal time all round, I s'pose....
  7. Laserbeam bass

Laserbeam bass Active Member

The Smurfs had snippets from Schubert's Unfinished and the Liszt piano concerto.
  8. andyp

andyp Active Member

Or the "Barber of Seville" version........

"Aaaahhhh.......wait'll I get that waaabit.

Aaaahhhh.......wait'll I get that waaabit!"

Those are fabulous, but my favourite is still Tom and Jerry in "Cat Concerto", set to (I think) Liszt's Piano Concerto No.2. The action fits the music perfectly!
  9. Ipswich trom

Ipswich trom Member

Is that the one where Tom ends up playing all the instruments as Jerry cuts holes into the stage making the other players disappear? If so, it is absolutely fantastic but the music is the overture to Die Fledermaus by Strauss.:D I just remembered the one you mean, also really brilliant.
  10. hellraiser

hellraiser Member

Smurfs... I remember one of those where arban's carnival of venice was played...
  11. hellraiser

hellraiser Member

...and that's another of my favourite pieces... I really think there's something in this.
  12. Ipswich trom

Ipswich trom Member

What about "Ludwig". A load of music from his Octet and some from his Symphony No.1
  13. BeatTheSheep

BeatTheSheep Member

ah, papa smurf, fantastic front row player he was
  14. flower girl

flower girl Member

only found out this week that sleeping beauty is actually a classical piece when one of my tutors started playing it in my lecture.
  15. Maestro

Maestro Active Member

Hungarian Rhapsody no 2. That's my all time favourite Tom & Jerry.
    The one where Tom plays all the instruments at the end is 'Live at the Hollywood Bowl'.

Hmmmm...I really must get out more :oops: :oops: :oops: