Music For Youth Schools Prom 2006

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Kiz7, Nov 17, 2006.

1. Kiz7

Kiz7 Member

Did any tmp'ers take part in the school's prom this week at the RAH?

My 9 year old daughter played trombone on tuesday for North Monmouthshire Senior Winds. What an amazing experience for her! Everyone was excellent and it was a great concert.

I felt really privilleged to be there to hear such dedicated young people perform. Congratulations to everyone involved!

2. Di

Di Active Member

I bet she had a fantastic time.

My two both play for the JCC Orchestra who won the orchestral section to become National Champions. They managed to slip through the selection net for the proms though. :(

3. did it last year with wigan youth brass band and it was amazing , shame we didnt try to defend our national champions title this year tho :(

4. jamieow

jamieow Member

....about 10 or 11 years ago.....
    Ace!!

5. Liz Courts

Liz Courts Active Member

I was there last year with Carrick Winds - an absolutely amazing experience! Glad you enjoyed it! :)

6. Kiz7

Kiz7 Member

Forgive me if I ambeing rude, I am a bit new to the Music For Youth set-up but what does JCC stand for?

7. Di

Di Active Member

Ah, beg your pardon... John Cleveland College. :)

8. Kiz7

Kiz7 Member

Where are they based? It was staggering to see such variety in the performances and the kids were all so well behaved. On the night we were there the Bristol Schools Massed Choir was performing and there were about 500 of the little people sat on stage for the whole evening - they were amazing! No misbehaving (well, from what I could see, their teachers may know different!) and very few jumping up to go to the loo!

9. Di

Di Active Member

JCC are from Hinckley, Leicestershire, but I believe were in an older age group than your daughter, they are a year 10 - 6th form college.

10. Kiz7

Kiz7 Member

I didn't know that the groups were done by age. My daughter didn't do the regional event as she hadn't been playing very long then, maybe we will know more this year as she will hopefully be taking part (it is the same weekend as the West of England Area Contest which isn't too helpful!)

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Music For Youth Schools Prom 2006
    daughter
    prom
    school
    part
  12. tpcornet12

tpcornet12 Member

I'm thinking back to my Youth Band days and remember playing in "National Festival of Music for Youth" and I think the "School Prom" ..... But I seem to remember that when I played it was in Liverpool..? Does it move around or am I getting confused?

13. wkt

wkt Member

My son was there on Wednesday night, playing clarinet with the City of Belfast Youth Orchestra.

14. Kiz7

Kiz7 Member

I don't know if it moves around but there are regional events held each year. Groups then get selected to perform at the prom after the regional events I think. It's all new to me

15. tpcornet12

tpcornet12 Member

Oh I see, you may be right. I take it that The National Festival of Music for Youth is a totally different occasion. We played for that in 1990 at The Festival Hall and came 2nd to Guildhall School of Music.

16. masefield

masefield Member

Hi there I think you will find that after the regional events - groups etc are selected for invites to the National Festival which used to be held on the South Bank, London at the Royal Festival Hall (now Birmingham) and then following this groups are then selected to take part in the Schools Prom in the RAH in November. Hope this clarification helps.

17. tpcornet12

tpcornet12 Member

Cheers for that - I think it helps....
    I must have played at the regionals in Liverpool, invited to Festival Hall, but not sure why we didn't go on the RAH as we got a "Highly Commended" award. Not going to worry about it now though, it's been 16 years!!:tup

18. masefield

masefield Member

Its not usual for an invite to follow as a result of either a Highly Commended or even an Outstanding Performance Award on an automatic basis. I have been extremely privileged to atend the Schools Prom on four times as my sons have been involved with three Abraham Darby Showband and one Senior Jazz Band performances in the last six years or so. Abraham Darby seemed to be invited every other year until they were invited in successive years a few years ago - which at the time we thought was unusual. Must confess it has always been a very good night on each visit and although perhaps not appreciated by some band members and participants at the time it must be regarded as a very good achievement, as not many people are lucky to say at that age that they have played or performed on such a very famous stage.

19. Kiz7

Kiz7 Member

I think my daughter appreciated it - especially as she good a dy out in London away from her Mum!