Music for Youth Bands

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by SuperMosh, Aug 3, 2007.

1. SuperMosh

SuperMosh New Member

Hi all

I have just become the conductor of our youth band and am keen to get some new music to have a bash through.

I am open to suggestions on pieces - either in this thread or by PM. My computer is not working at home at the moment so I won't pick up this thread / any PMs again until Monday so apologies in advance for not replying soon!

Pieces currently played include the Youth Brass Band Journals 1-3 by Stuart Pullen, Yesterday (Alan Fearnie arrangement), Beyond the Sea by Frank Bernaets and so on. Music suggestions of this 'type' 'complexity' would be great. The young people want to play stuff they know and the parents are keen to play modern stuff - I am keen to have a mix of old and new as when they join the main band, such delights as test pieces and the summer pap all bands play will be a shock if they only play 'fun stuff'!:biggrin:

Any of the publishers / composers / printers or such type feel free to spam my email with catalogues, samples etc -

We got Hooternanny out the other night so ideas please!

2. matthetimp

matthetimp Member

the lion king
    a little prayer (?)
    Annie's song (Bb Solo)
    I will follow him (?)
    Irish Blessing
    Slaidburn (I know what your thinking, but it is a youth band march)

Use the good 'ole hymn books as well

Hope this helps a bit PM me if you need any more help
  3. FlugelGirl

FlugelGirl New Member

I play in a youth band and here are somethings that i think our band responded well to:

Little prayer (euph solo)
    Children of Sanchez (Flugelhorn solo)
    Concerto de Aranjuez (Flugelhorn solo)
    Carrickfergus (euph solo)
    Swedish folk song
    Hine e Hine
    March second suite in F

It really depends on the standard of your band, if they arent very experienced then maybe, Gaelforce, Children of Sanchez and maybe Concerto de Aranjuez, good luck! :)
  4. Alan Fernie

Alan Fernie Member

Looking at the "complexity" of the pieces you mention (who's this bloke Fearnie??!), I can heartily recommend Cameron Mabon's music, which is published by the much maligned Obrasso, under their "Easy Brass Band" series - lots of things that kids like to play such as "The Lion King", cartoon themes like "Scooby Doo", and cracking selections from the likes of the Beatles, Abba and "Grease", the musical. All sensibly written, very playable and most enjoyable.
  5. flashbarry

flashbarry Member

Bernaerts Music have an extensive young/youth band catalogue. The pieces are written so that if you don't have a full band it won't matter, they will still sound good.

There is a new catalogue being released at the moment with a demo cd available recorded by Brass Band Willebroek.

Visit for more information and to have a listen to some samples.

If you would like any further information please get in touch.

6. axelo

axelo Member

Gaelforce??! Even if I have not played it, to me it seems like a pretty hard piece. The final is kind of tricky, or am I totally wrong? :confused:
  7. SamHayday

SamHayday Member

Don't do Irish Blessing ... most boring piece ever lol
  8. sjs

sjs Member

Our "Springboard Series" is designed specifically for Youth Bands. If you go to our website you can listen to any or all of the pieces and judge for yourself. There's a mix of familiar favourites and originals. No extreme keys or ranges and they're written to be playable with limited forces of mixed ability.
    Hope that helps

9. SuperMosh

SuperMosh New Member

Will have a look - thank you!

OK - it has to excite me as well as the young 'uns!

Dunno - got to be better than Hooternanny though

Thanks Darrol, I spent a large part of Friday tea time behind at work, printing off sample scores and I must say, I really enjoyed some of the stuff on there.

Sorry Alan, or should I say Mr Fernie?! Will have a scout on t'internet for the obrasso stuff as it sounds up my street. I need to get the kids playing what they like then introduce more variety as we go along.

Cheers - will also look at all of these.

I think they have tried Lion King but I have mental scars from doing this in the main band some summers ago. Eb Bass part and all that. Will have another look as this is in the library.

As for the hymn books, we are starting with good old 43 in the red book. As written, pp and then ff. Which is fun. I plan to get them doing the old quavers, triplets and semis in time, along with variance in dynamic too.