Music for the Common Man help!

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by aimee_euph, Oct 30, 2006.

1. aimee_euph

aimee_euph Member

On the first bari part, has anyone else noticed that on the 3rd page - bar number 255...the G minim and the G crotchet (to F#) in the next bar sound very out of place in the chord?

I keep thinking im lost and coming in wrong even when i count properly, can anyone shed some light? Thanks xx
  2. Ipswich trom

Ipswich trom Member

Can't recall this ever being questioned and have played it twice before. Is someone else playing a wrong note maybe? Suggest asking the M.D. if you're unsure.
  3. aimee_euph

aimee_euph Member

i have asked the MD and he suggested changing it to E - E - f# that matchesthe flugel part (i think)
  4. Redhorn

Redhorn New Member

Similar taste in avatar- Ipswich Trom!!

Anyway, just been looking at the score. We've never noticed this in rehearsal either, but it does LOOK wrong, as solo horn and flugel both are a semitone higher at this bar, and the clash would seem out of context. Noone else has anything like what bari is playing.

There is a deliberate semitone clash in horns- bar 242, where 1st and 2nd horns need to be very definite about playing 'different' notes, and mustnt be tempted into lipping them into the same note. This seems in context.

This doesnt seem right, so will go to car and listen to recording to see whats on there!
  5. Redhorn

Redhorn New Member

Right- ive just 'sibelius-ed' those 3 bars- and would suggest that the score and part is indeed correct. Its a deliberate semitonal clash which actually sounds really nice!
    I guess the problem you might have had COULD be similar to those our horns were doing in the example listed above- in that the ear is telling you to play the same as you hear elsewhere.
    Id suggest you play your G's with confidence, and the flug/horn play their Fsharps with confidence too- and it'll sound lovely!
  6. aimee_euph

aimee_euph Member

Thankyou! I thought it sounded really odd sometimes but nice the other times ive played it. Gonna have a chat with the conductor tonight!!!
  7. Redhorn

Redhorn New Member

Indeed- we played it tonight and although theres a clash it DOES work if everyone is in tune.
    Dont be put off by the flugel! Get him moved to the other side of the band! ;-)
  8. BrianT

BrianT Member

Hearing things...

I think Music for the Common Man is a fabulous piece. Looking forward to playing it at Pontins this coming weekend. There's a couple of places where the tunes put me in mind of other pieces. The main theme makes me think "Rock a bye baby". Also, I'm sure I heard a quote from "I'm a barbie girl" towards the end. Also, the first few notes of the sop and Eb bass unison bit sound like the riff at the start of "She's not there" (by the Birds?) I'm probably hearing things...
  9. aimee_euph

aimee_euph Member

oooooh its a HER hehe she'l kill you if she knew :p

Yeh it sounded okay when i played it confidently. Thanks for your help!
  10. Robin Norman

Robin Norman Member

Personally I think it sounds like "Can You Read My Mind", the love theme from Superman or, if you are orchestrally minded, the end section of "Death & Transfiguration" by Richard Strauss. :-?
  11. Redhorn

Redhorn New Member

Definitely bits of superman in there! :)
  12. matthetimp

matthetimp Member

Personally I think it sounds like every other piece that kenneth Downie has written, especially Purcell Variations!!!!!!!!!!!!
  13. Ipswich trom

Ipswich trom Member

Obviously most composers have a certain style and you can normally recognise who a piece is composed by but to say it sounds like every other piece he wrote is a little simplistic. It doesn't sound like Purcell Variations to me but the style and form is vaguely similar, granted.