Music for Brassed Off

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by mikelyons, Apr 25, 2014.

1. mikelyons

mikelyons Supporting Member

Hi All,

I need some help to find a piece of music for our upcoming performances of Brassed Off at the Octagon Theatre, Bolton. None of the three bands have it in their libraries, so I'm hoping some of the bands who have just finished a run will have it and will loan it to us.

They company specifically want Irish Tune From County Derry Arr. Dennis Wright. We had it in our library, but it is no longer there! (we haven't played it for about 5 years and, now we need it, it's gone!)

If you can help it would be very much appreciated and we would be happy to offer services in kind.

Thanks in advance.

Mike

2. llewellynd

llewellynd Member

Coventry Festival Band are currently playing for the performance in Covenrty, maybe they can be of help.

3. James Yelland

James Yelland Active Member

4. hobgoblin

hobgoblin Member

**ATTN COPYRIGHT POLICE** Loaning music!!!? Are you completely mad? This sort of thing is why so many composers are having to 'turn tricks' and sleep rough on our streets. Every time you borrow or photocopy a piece of music a real kitten dies.

5. simonium

simonium Member

Excellent!! That made me chuckle. You need to be on your guard though, you'll feel the wrath of both Philip Sparke and Andrew Norman for such facetiousness.

6. Anglo Music Press

Anglo Music Press Active Member

No, he or she won't of course. Although admitting stealing solo parts from trade stands (on this forum) is a little more worrying.......

7. hobgoblin

hobgoblin Member

Nobody said which country the contests / trade stands were in - could be a matter for Interpol?

8. Anglo Music Press

Don't know why I even bother to reply, but......

i wonder if you would be so flippant if people were stealing stuff from you? If you're too dense to see the difference, then...

9. hobgoblin

hobgoblin Member

I don't know why you bother either, as you can't even seem to finish a sentence. I understand you going a bit mental though, as I don't think I've ever seen a legal copy of Jubilee Overture, or Malvern Suite, but every band seems to have a copy. Hopefully the OP has recanted his heresy with regard to borrowing music, and as much as I see your point, sometimes it doesn't do to bite the hand that feeds you.

10. Anglo Music Press

I'll try my best to finish a sentence .......

Back on topic. As I'm sure you know (though you don't seem to) borrowing music is, of course, not illegal.

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Brassed Off Hi All
    Irish Tune From County Derry Arr
    Octagon Theatre
    Bolton
    Dennis Wright
  12. Pauli Walnuts

Pauli Walnuts Moderator Staff Member

Last time I checked, there is no issue with lending music.
    Edit: You beat me to it Phillip.

13. Posh

Posh Member

I know that someone has already found where you can buy the parts and score from, but for future reference (and to any band out there who are trying to track down an old or out of print piece of music), try Brass Band Archive. They have a huge library and I'm sure if you asked them and they had it, they'd be more than willing to lend a band THE ORIGINAL PARTS for a small donation.

Brass Band Archive, 232 Scholes, Wigan, Lancashire WN1 3NH
    Tel: 01942 824820

14. James Yelland

Just to reiterate post #3: you can get a new set of the music for £29.50. That's about £1.20 per band member, or about 40p per head if the cost is shared by the three bands concerned. Sounds cheap to me.

15. Pauli Walnuts

Pauli Walnuts Moderator Staff Member

Good information but surely the people engaging the band should find the music - I have never had to procure my own music for a theatre gig.

16. mikelyons

Hi James,

Thanks for the help. We obviously either have it filed in the wrong drawer in our library already - or someone has borrowed it - but we do also have two other settings of this tune which we use more frequently. There is no legal issue, to my mind, as we have to have copies especially marked up for this one production, and if bands have already done this with the same theatre company, there is nothing wrong with them loaning the music to us in the spirit of community that is supposed to exist in banding. We would, of course, return the copies to them after the 14th June - at which point, by the rules of sod, we will find our own copy!

It's nice to see that our regular trolls are still alive and kicking.

Thanks for this. The piece is still in print - as James has pointed out above. However, I may call upon you sometime soon for another purpose. :)

Apparently not. I remember doing this with Old Hall at Southport Little Theatre a couple of years ago and we provided our own music then, too.

I have bought a copy from the link above for my own personal library. I will, of course, loan it to my band for the show and then put in my filing cabinet with all my other band music.

17. James Yelland

I bet it's under D for Danny Boy. Or under O, for O Danny Boy!

18. simonium

simonium Member

You do me much honour comparing me to the mighty hobgoblin.

19. mikelyons

Actually, the possibilities in our library are almost endless! It may even have been in a box of our music that disappeared after a gig we were playing at last year. Our library is being overhauled at the moment because it definitely needs rationalising with pilfered and/or lost music being removed and multiple arrangements of pieces put into some kind of order. It is like 164 years of history condensed into a moment of chaos!:)

20. Backrowdiva

Backrowdiva Member

Irish Tune from County Derry isn't the arrangement used in the show, it's been changed to Londonderry Air Arr Broadbent, and there are only about 8 band members playing it. If you haven't got it, get in touch with Neil @ the Touring Theatre Consortium and he'll be able to point you in the right direction

21. mikelyons

I have the email that asks for this specific arrangement and if I have bought the music unnecessarily I will be most cross!

22. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Brassed Off Hi All
    Irish Tune From County Derry Arr
    Octagon Theatre
    Bolton
    Dennis Wright