Music Education Cutbacks

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by brassneck, Apr 18, 2010.

1. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

In the wake of the cutbacks imposed on local regional councils, music tuition is one of the areas that will be impacted significantly. Rough figures for Scotland include a 25% reduction in Fife (saving £400,000), Midlothian is to cut its music service by £48,000 this year, then £125,000 the following year and has proposed removing all instrument instruction from primary schools, while Shetland, which has never charged for instrumental lessons, will ask parents to contribute from August, and East Ayrshire is to introduce charging in a bid to save £50,000. And Stirling, Highland and Perth and Kinross are all planning to raise fees, while Edinburgh plans to cut six full-time instrumental staff. (quoted from http://scotlandonsunday.scotsman.co...02621.jp?CommentPage=1&CommentPageLength=1000). Bruce Fraser, I have noticed, has been contacting press offices to highlight his concerns and try to stop these cuts from happening.

What cutbacks are proposed for your locality and how much of an impact will it make for students and staff numbers? What is being done about it?

2. johnmartin

johnmartin Active Member

I was under the impression that it was 25% by this April and a further 25% by April 2011. Am I mistaken?

As far as I am concerned it reinforces my belief that we cannot rely on outside bodies to train future players. The bands themselves must take responsibility to ensure their own future.

3. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Nope, that's what's proposed.

4. John_D

John_D Member

depends which party has power after the election. All have differing priorities from continued investment to a complete scrapping of the BSF programme, which will have severe reprocussions for all sectors of education.

5. Mike Saville

Mike Saville Member

I believe the music service closed in Devon?? I suspect that several other counties will go that way as well.

On the plus side there will be more work for private teachers :)

6. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Or more private teachers looking for students ... :redface:

7. Mike Saville

Mike Saville Member

:) Yeah that too!

8. mikelyons

mikelyons Supporting Member

When Wigan introduced charging for lessons and eventually hived off its instrumental provision, brass take up went down to an all-time low in this area. I expect other areas will find the same. Thankfully, we a re well supplied with brass band oriented families, so it still ticks over, but I have a great deal of sympathy for those areas where brass provision might die altogether.

We've just finished our GCSE practicals and there were exactly two brass players. Most of the rest of the 30 consisted of guitarists, keyboard players (not pianists) and drummers of the HMR persuasion (Heavy Metal Rock). In years gone by, the numbers would have been reversed, with a sprinking of strings and woodwind to leaven the mix. I have to say I found the whole procedure torture this year. I'm not sure I can do another 3 years of this.

9. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

... and to think there are many regions going to impose more cuts after the next election! Is Scotland only beginning to get what England & Wales have suffered in the last few years?

10. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Here's a little update ... Bruce Fraser will be putting his point across in an interview televised for Panorama on May 10th covering cutbacks.

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Midlothian
    Shetland
    Bruce Fraser
    Stirling
    Scotland
  12. jockinafrock

jockinafrock Active Member

On the plus side there will be more work for private teachers :)[/quote]

But parents may not be in a position to pay private fees, or even think that they should. I think it's very sad that, even though this may not be seen as an esential service to some Councils, we are taking away a wonderful opportunity for youngsters. :(
    With many unable to make their own entertainment because they rely on technology to excite and entertain them
    , it's a crying shame that a once thriving service nationally is going down the pan... :mad:

13. Martin

Martin Member

Along with many others................

.......common theme here, don't you think?....:frown:

14. StellaJohnson

StellaJohnson Active Member

When I was at seconary school, I left in 1997. There was never any free tution for music lessons even before then. There was a divide in actual curiculum music lessons. Ones who pratted about (me!) and the ones who already knew about the musical terms they were teaching. I personally thought music at school was a waste of time and it taught me nothing. I really wanted to play a musical instrument but my parents couldn't afford it, so I joined my local band.

I actually think musical groups (not just brass bands) need to pull there finger out and attract new players themselves instead of relying on schools to do it for them

15. Lawrencediana

Lawrencediana Member

I couldn't agree more, it's at times like these that we as a movement should be showing our mettle and getting out to the community and replace the lost music opportunities with some of our own, thus ensuring the future of our movement.

16. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

At least brass bands have an advantage to get into schools and the community to try and attract new learners. For other non percussion & non brass instruments, it could be more awkward.

17. bassmittens

bassmittens Member

I for one would never have started playing a brass instrument if it had not been for free lessons in secondary school (Scotland - ( left school in 1995). I was a string player before then and was extremely lucky to recieve free lessons for both(!) during secondary school.

I wonder how many players would simply never have started playing if it had not been for free lessons?? a poll perhaps?