Music based computer programs.

Discussion in 'Computer Corner' started by Cornet Nev., Feb 17, 2008.

1. Cornet Nev.

Cornet Nev. Member

Is there any one else as daft about music programs as I am? I have spent a fortune over a period of time to now have a longish list of different notational and sequencing stuff.
    Here is what I have so far-
    Finale 2006
    Sibelius 3
    band in a box
    Evolutions sound studio II
    Notation 2 (By Magix)
    Print music (smaller version of Finale)
    Sibelius 5 demo.
    Finale notepad 2007, (a free demo)
    Music studio Producer (freebie from Frieve)
    Anvil Studio (another freebie, works with midi only)
    Quasi Fractal Composer (a free random music generator)

I nearly downloaded another free one today but found it wasn't available any more, plus it would only work on earlier operating systems like ME or 98 so no use any way.

I use them all for fun and as part of the long and steep learning curve of what music is and the more technical side of it, and composing.
    I am yet still learning so most of my efforts aren't really for public demonstration as yet.
    I also play around with the vast amount of free Midi files that are available on the net from all sorts of sources, even the simple job of taking the melody line, copying it, transposing just that copy up by two semitones, mute it so it doesn't play, but I then read the notation to play along, a fun practice technique.
    Any one else do something similar?

2. vjarjadian

vjarjadian New Member

I have Sibelius 5 and Cubase SX 3

i dont need anything else.

i use sibelius to produce arrangements for my band and trasposing parts into bass clef.

Cubase comes in handy when i need to make recordings of the band.

3. sugarandspice

sugarandspice Active Member

I've used Sibelius throughout School and College, at uni i prefer Cubase- i wrote a song using it last year- it was awesome!

I'm currently getting to grips with 'superdupermusiclooper'! Probably not what you had in mind but brilliant fun if you are 10! :)

4. KMJ Recordings

KMJ Recordings Supporting Member

They're completely different things, though - one's a score writing package and the other one's a sequence and audio recorder ;)

I might have a few floating around.

5. SopranoGod

SopranoGod Member

The only ones i've used is Sibelius and if i ever want to record myself or anything else i'll sony soundforge

6. sugarandspice

sugarandspice Active Member

I know, which is why (not being a confident piano player) i found cubase more helpful- i just put everything on loop!

7. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

Hmmm... now why's that then Keith... :):)

Cubase for me... and do you think I've mastered the audio routing yet... phah!!!! :)

8. KMJ Recordings

RTFM ;)

I might be heading down your way laer in the year - I've got three quotations out in your fairly immediate vicinity some of which may be around June time. Depending on the timetable I'll see what I can do.

Even if I charge you half of what your other 'consultant' was trying to charge I'll still pay of my mortgage by 2009 :biggrin:

9. TheMusicMan

I'll gladly pay ya Keith... let me know a little closer to the date yeah?

10. KMJ Recordings

Nah, won't be any need for that. If I'm in that neck of the woods anyway, I'll just stick my beak in :D .

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    2006Sibelius
    Print
    IINotation 2
    boxEvolutions
    Anvil Studio
  12. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

-and to think I was willing to pay John for the opportunity of playing his keyboard setup ... would you pay double? :rolleyes:

13. KMJ Recordings

Nope :biggrin:

His setup is broadly similar to mine anyway - we've both got Korg Karmas and Access Viruseseses (Virii?) of various incarnations...then I've got other assorted bits and pieces like a Triton Rack and Roland XV-3080 whereas John's got a Korg Radias....

The big difference is that one of us has time to turn them on, and I don't ;)

14. TheMusicMan

Awww Keith, you gotta turn them on...:) they need playing. :)

15. KMJ Recordings

They do, they're crying out for it....but the boy gets more use out of them than I do....

I'll get worried when, at 4 3/4 he starts asking me about routing aux busses and at whet level and bit depth he should export his mixes for mastering :D

16. crk365

crk365 New Member

I like Noteworthy Composer - I puchased a license way back in 1999 and I'm still getting free updates.

17. MrsDoyle

MrsDoyle Supporting Member

I use Sibelius 6. Magnetic Layout is unmatched, and, nowadays, it is the de facto standard for electronic music score delivery, especially with Scorch enabling you to try before you buy.

18. Bass Trumpet

Bass Trumpet Active Member

Any minute now Gareth will come steaming in with a 'not as good as Finale' post.....

19. MrsDoyle

MrsDoyle Supporting Member

I shall counter the argument before the lovely Gareth arrives.

Finale is not exactly the easiest to use, and IMO most musicians want software that is for musicians, not for what I suppose we'd call 'nerds'. It's funny, isn't it, how MakeMusic (or Coda, or Immac, or whatever they're called these days) always seem to add features after Sibelius has successfully implemented them. I can't see any new or exciting features in the latest versions of Finale. The upgrade cycle is also expensive, but Finale users are locked in a bitter cycle because 2010 files won't work with 2009, and so on. Sibelius users have some degree of backward compatibility, in that one can save for a specific version and export to an enormous variety of file types for ultimate compatibility.

(No, I don't work for Ben and Jonathan Finn)

20. GJG

GJG Well-Known Member

You might be interested in this: (if you have the patience ... ;))

http://forum.makemusic.com/default.aspx?f=5&p=3&m=267467

21. nadband

nadband Member

I always used sibelius until i moved over to linux. I can still get sib 3 to run under WINE and tho I still use it I have been using Musescore for a few months and to be honest for standard arranging it is all I need. It also exports musicxml so can be read in most notation editors.

Tho when i write my next testpiece then it might struggle!

22. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    2006Sibelius
    Print
    IINotation 2
    boxEvolutions
    Anvil Studio