MuseScore 1.1 Now Available

Discussion in 'Computer Corner' started by its_jon, Aug 20, 2011.

1. its_jon

its_jon Member

MuseScore 1.1 is now available. 100% Free Powerful notation typesetter.

New version has community integration. Multi Platform.

Version 2 (in development) promises to be a huge leap forward so best get used to 1.1 now.

Brass Band Template and UK Brass Band instrument file Free to Download HERE

It really is not worth seeking out dodgy or limited versions of Sibelius when you have such a superb Open Source alternative.
  2. Alisop

Alisop Member

Thank you very much for this. Can I plug a midi keyboard in and it notate from this like Sibelius?
  3. its_jon

its_jon Member

midi keyboards work.
  4. Cornet Nev.

Cornet Nev. Member

Midi keyboards work, yes, but only still in step time, not real time. I asked the question on their forum as to whether it would become available and got a quite concise reply as to why real time input is possibly not a good idea anyway.
    if interested here is the link=

Otherwise as far as free notational software is concerned, it is certainly the best free application I have seen, and believe me I have been looking.
    I have both Sibelius (version4) and Finale (2006)
    I reckon MuseScore is nearly as good as either of the above and if anything somewhere in between the two.
  5. LittleEuph

LittleEuph Member

Thanks for this- I have recently discovered MuseScore but the lack of Brass Band instrumentation was a problem (for instance, it assumes that the Euphonium staff should be in bass clef and concert pitch, rather than treble clef and Bb).

I have downloaded both the Brass Band template and the instrumentation but cannot work out how to incorporate the instrumentation into MuseScore. The website download page refers to a 'Load' button but I can't locate this- any ideas?

6. Cornet Nev.

Cornet Nev. Member

I looked at that too and downloaded both. The template file is fine but I cannot find a way to incorporate even that into the MuseScore template list. As far as the so called font bank, it downloaded as an XML document, not a font file at all. most strange.
  7. LittleEuph

LittleEuph Member

I couldn't get the template into the template list either but I saved it to my documents folder and accessed it using the file/open command. Not ideal but it does work.
  8. its_jon

its_jon Member

Template file ....

It is a XML file.

1) Leave it on your desktop
    2) Open up Musescore
    3) start a new score or open an existing one.
    4) from a new score it will ask you what instruments you want to add (or right click the open score and select 'instruments')... at the bottom of the instrument list is the button [load]
    5) Click the [Load] Button and select the 'instruments.xml' file on your desktop.

You should now see a UK Brass Band instrument set as a subsection of Brass in the instruments list.
  9. Cornet Nev.

Cornet Nev. Member

Ah, but that is not what was implied. The implication was there is a sound font file, meaning that with a true sound font loaded it should actually sound of true brass when played.
  10. julian

julian Member

Blimey, sounds like a foreign language to me - have to stick to me pencil and manuscript paper. Where did I put that rubber? LOL
  11. its_jon

its_jon Member

you can use any sound font you like
  12. Cornet Nev.

Cornet Nev. Member

I agree MuseScore can be directed to any sound font you may have already, however I was only saying that the original reply implied that the instruments were a sound font, which of course I now realise it isn't.

However, I have now found a way to import the brass band template into the template list. This works in Windows7 64bit and I expect similar to apply in XP or Vista.
    First off, open Computer from the start list, double click to open the drive then find MuseScore in the 86 Program files list. Double click that and find the template files and open that.
    Next go to wherever you have stored the brass band template folder. You will have to open another explorer window first.
    Once you have located and opened the brass band folder, drag and drop the template from the folder into the MuseScore template files. Windows7 will ask you for administrator privileges, just click yes or OK, and you are done.
    To check, open MuseScore, start a new piece and choose templates, it should show and then open the brass band template.