Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by RThomp7462, Apr 18, 2005.

1. RThomp7462

RThomp7462 Member

Well . . . it's finally got me, been playing over 40 years and finally succumbed to the dreaded mumps. Been down with it for over a week, huge cheeks like a double B player playing fffffff! and a double chin you could ski down (won't even mention the other part of may anatomy!!!).

Already missed one concert and looks like I'll miss a concert this weekend as well!!

The doc tells me there is an epidemic at the moment (the first 4 months of 2004 there were less than 500 cases reported, this year over 7,000 cases in the first 4 months!!).

Certainly in and around Gloucestershire many of the the uni's have reported massive increases . . .

Anyone else out there in the banding community part of these amazing statistics?

Roger (Flowers Band)
  2. 5010 Hn

5010 Hn New Member

We had an epidemic in the early Spring over here in Essex. So much so that we as teachers were given the MMR jab!
  3. sevenhelz

sevenhelz Active Member

had a few players in youth band go down with it, though the epidemic scares are louder in our college actually...

i think i must be immune ;) that and glandular fever
  4. Naomi McFadyen

Naomi McFadyen New Member

I had mumps when I was 5... it lasted about 2 weeks...

There has been a warning of it reappearing this year... we were all offered the jab in uni at the beginning of the academic year... but I believe some people in uni have come down with it... tut tut tut

Hope you get well soon!!!!...
    It's not a nice thing to have... I remember it pretty well when I had it.... wow... 17 years ago :-| ouch...
  5. billy_p

billy_p Member

i was lucky enough to get it three days before the areas, much thanks to david lancaster who stepped in on sop despite having been ready to play second man for wetherby (for variations as well which was a bit of a stamina test for anyone). did a quality job too by all accounts, very good player and a top chap as well.

mumps was less than fun, wouldnt recommend it to anyone. provided some nice photos of my face though, lol. hope it doesnt become a brass epidemic. a few people have had it at uni but i think it has disappeared now
  6. Straightmute

Straightmute Active Member

Cheers Billy: I hereby retract all the awful things I said about you from the stage of St Georges Hall... :)

7. The Cornet King

The Cornet King Active Member

Our uni had an epidemic last semester, 2 of my housemates got it. One had symptoms and looked like a Beaver for a week, the other didn't get any symptoms at all and didn't even know he had it until he had a blood test.

I had to have another MMR jab so i didn't get it.
    Very contageous and very annoying!
  8. Just Crazy

Just Crazy Member

I barely rememeber having mumps when i was young but my mum told me that it was the only childhood illness i had. From what i do rememeber it wasnt very nice.

Hope your feeling better soon. [​IMG]
  9. flahshorn

flahshorn Account Suspended

Get well soon Roger, we hope we'll see you back at band soon. Grand shield is coming up.... :)

All the best,