MULTIPHONICS!

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Seedhouse, Sep 25, 2003.

1. Seedhouse

Seedhouse Active Member

Does anyone know how to achieve multiphonics on low brass instruments (preferably Euph)???
    Thanks,
    Alex

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Euph
    Alex
    MULTIPHONICS
    low brass instruments
    color
  3. On the Horn

On the Horn Member

Whats that ?

4. andyp

andyp Active Member

Being a cornet player I'm probably not qualified to say (!), but having seen bass and euph players doing it at rehearsal, you play a pedal note, and while doing it you 'sing' another note above (third, fifth, octave etc), and a third (or more?) note is formed by the harmonics between the two.
    Trial and error's probably the best way.
    hth

5. On the Horn

On the Horn Member

Ah yes I can do it on the horn, sounds weird but its suppose to be better on a lower instrument like trombone or euph. Think I can only sing a 5th above successfully.

6. davidquinlan

davidquinlan Member

Doesn't have to be a pedal note and they can also be played on any brass instrument...
    .. like everything else.. it is a skill that takes time and practice to master...

7. asteria

asteria Member

I think you just start off with a kind of growl and keep practicing! I can't do it (i can't flutter-tongue either, i feel deprived!), but my housemate has been practicing it and is getting quite good!! Was quite amusing in the first week tho!

8. leisa

leisa Active Member

My friend can do it on her cornet and her brother can do it on his trombone..........i can't do it, maybe it's genetic?!?!

9. amgray

amgray Member

Multiphonics is playing one note (not necessarily a pedal), and singing another note. When it's really well done you can get other notes appearing 'by magic :D '.
    The 'gaffer' is Bill Watrous (SUPERB US Jazz trombonist), if you can get access to his album recorded c.1981 in PizzaExpress, London you will hear a virtuoso multipart, single player exposition for the first 5 mins or so of the album followed by some phenomenal trombone playing.

10. Euph Kidd

Euph Kidd Member

Anyone seen the European DVD? Oystein Baadsvik's Fnugg is absolutely amazing, the multiphonics makes his tuba sound like a cross between a digereedoo(!) and an electric guitar. The man is God! I would agree with everyone else, playing and singing is the way as well as practice. Im now able to do it and add it to alot of cadenzas in things like the Carnival of Venice. Makes the audience laugh!

11. Seedhouse

Seedhouse Active Member

Yeh I saw him on the DVD at the Nationals, he's so good at it! It made me chuckle :lol:
    How do you achieve the effect though? Or even begin to learn it?
    Who taught you it Euph Kidd???[/color
    ]

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Euph
    Alex
    MULTIPHONICS
    low brass instruments
    color
  13. Euph Kidd

Euph Kidd Member

I wasnt taught it, just practised playing and singing one after another, eventually I got them going together. It does take time, but its really amusing when you can pull it off. Start with pedal notes, I found they work the best. Then increase the range as you start to get it working!
    Richard

14. Darth_Tuba

Darth_Tuba Active Member

To me these are an amusing party trick and no more! You will never be asked to produce this effect in band pieces, and any use in solos is usually by choice. If you wish to spend time practicing it, then fair enough, but I think time would be better spent perfecting other techniques which are more often used.

15. leisa

leisa Active Member

i cant flutter tounge!! i cant roll my R's!!!!!!! :cry:

16. tewkeshorn

tewkeshorn Account Suspended

I can flutter tongue, but am hopeless at triple tongueing (can barely double tongue!) which is wierd. :? I wonder if it's related to that gene that can let you roll your tongue.
    :?
    Hmm, got me thinking now about Genetically engineering cloned super-brass players :twisted: :twisted: muahahahaha..aherm. :oops:

17. leisa

leisa Active Member

hmmmm good diea though! :) i can triple tounge better than i can double tounge i can triple tounge for quite a while but my tounge gets tireder quicker when i double tounge :?

18. stephen2001

stephen2001 Member

I can't double or triple tongue, but can single tongue pretty quickly.
    I can flutter-tongue, and I can just about do the multiphonics, on a good day!

19. Accidental

Accidental Supporting Member

I can't double/triple tongue either......keep waiting to be rumbled but seem to have got away with it so far!! Nice to see there's more of you out there.

Just a thought - is it just a horn/bari thing?!

20. onedrummeruk

onedrummeruk Member

And you admit this on an open forum Alex ---- Oops :)

21. Accidental

Accidental Supporting Member

Well I've got away with it for the last 20 years so I figured I've got nothing to lose!

Oh god now I've just made myself seem really old. Aaaargh!!!!!

22. onedrummeruk

onedrummeruk Member