Mulled Wine...

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Big Twigge, Dec 5, 2005.

1. Big Twigge

Big Twigge Active Member

We're having a mulled wine and mince pie party on wednesday and I was wondering if any of you have any outstanding mulled wine recipes. I've got a few from the internet, but there's quite a lot of variety in the recipes and I definitely want a good one!

Any fool proof (;)) ones greatly appreciated!
  2. lottie4744

lottie4744 Member

Don't know any reciepes, but there's loads of mulled wine on the xmas market in Manchester- the blueberry one's absolutley gorgeous!
  3. bigmamabadger

bigmamabadger Active Member

I prefer to go heavy on the cinnamon and ginger and lighter on the cloves and nutmeg. Plenty of sugar, and a good brandy, although the more suicidal can add kirsch for that extra hit.

Did you know that too much nutmeg can make you psychotic?

4. sparkling_quavers

sparkling_quavers Active Member

ooooooooooo mulled wine!! I would love a good recipe as well :D
  5. julestools

julestools Active Member

Wife does mulled wine at new year but being a boring non drinker (yes a bass player who does not drink) I have never tried it.

Takes 12 months to get the stains out of the kitchen worktop though.

6. meandmycornet

meandmycornet Active Member

we sell mulled wine at work (sainsbury's) thats a fool proof recipe isn't it? :tongue:
  7. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

8. tubafran

tubafran Active Member

Think Ciff Richards has a nice recipe for mistletoe and wine ;) - although I always thought mistletoe was poisonous and that's not going to taste that good so suggest just have it without - then that would be wine which is not a bad thing. Altough I did find mistletoe wine in Australia

Note to the gullible please do not try this suggested recipe (also did you know that gullible isn't even in the dictionary)
  9. Big Twigge

Big Twigge Active Member

10. tinytimp

tinytimp Member

I usually make it using the Schwartz herbs sachet and just add oranges and cloves anyway. Although you may need a bit extra sugar if you're doing this.
  11. NeilW

NeilW Member

I'm in Oxford tomorrow evening (dinner with the work team @ a hotel!) - so what time are you serving aperitifes from?? :D

We normally succumb to 1l Gluwein packets when we visit Germany (hic!)

12. Big Twigge

Big Twigge Active Member

4 likely to get messy - ending up in the wonder that is Fuzzy Ducks!
  13. bigmamabadger

bigmamabadger Active Member

Trouble is he's as bad as the other basses even without a drink. God knows what he'd be like if he did drink.

A good t-total substitute for mulled wine is mulled apple juice. I like it when I'm in a non-alcoholic mood.
  14. Big Twigge

Big Twigge Active Member Mulled wine was a success! I went for a combination of Delia, a mulled wine tea bag and some Twigge genius!
    Drinking from 4 in the afternoon and then all evening isn't that advisable...have woken up with what I believe is a Chicken burgular on my desk!